Terminal Boxes

They do quite a range with screw down tops too .... Thje site isn't too easy to navigate .. but it is all there !!
Just down the road from me ... as is / was Screwfix ..Yeovil ?
P

Sponsored Links
Gewiss do good stuff. Screw top boxes are the best, BUT without the stepped grommets. I prefer to drill a 20 or 25mm hole and use dome top TRS glands.

pipme said:
GW00001724VR.jpg

Made in chippenham !!

GeWiss OnLine

Thats the bugger I am looking for.

It allows me to use one terminal to drop some flex&bulb from the room and take a switch also.

Sponsored Links
DONT DO IT - They are a diy-ers dream, do a proffesional job!!!

L.Spark said:
LOL, I have no idea whats so special about them :cool:

Very very useful when lighting a large long building split into pens with switch+light for each pen.

For example in this case I put one in each pen above the light, same place in each pen and link them all.

I find it suits this style of job.

Why not wire to each switch, and a cable from each switch to light? Sure, more cable, but no j-boxes. Less to go wrong, easier to fault find if you have to.

Animals pens come under special locations, and should be wired in PVC conduit or SWA really, these boxes are not suitable for that, plain edged ones would be.

Lectrician said:
Animals pens come under special locations, and should be wired in PVC conduit or SWA really, these boxes are not suitable for that, plain edged ones would be.

So a shed at 80-100yards in length with pens the whole way along it and I'm meant to run conduit along the peak of the roof from light to light.

I'll use conduit from switch + up wall but I don't think I need conduit there after unless switch cable needs seperated from steel truss (sp?) and sheeted roof.

There are all sorts of specific regulations that apply to farms & outbuildings etc - are you sure you should be doing this yourself?

ban-all-sheds said:
There are all sorts of specific regulations that apply to farms & outbuildings etc - are you sure you should be doing this yourself?

Yes!

I've done it numerous times, worked with electricians, seen hundreds of farm buildings and their wiring and any I've done myself, the sparkys have said its a pass. My friends are electricians so if I encountered a prob, a ring for help would sort it out.

sorry, that still does not make what you are doing right.

of course your "sparky friends" let YOU do it, electrically it will work, but when there is a fault and say 75% of all live stock is electrocuted they only have to say "well it wasnt me, i never wired it, darkness did"

as mentioned farms and similar have differnt regs, you must also remember that it is far easier to electrocute and animal than a human.

people are worh far more, but animals are considered by their price, one mistake and..........oh dear.

I understand what you are all saying about the regulations and the fact I have no papers suggest I shouldn't be doing the job.

I have a limit when it comes to wiring but there are areas that I can complete well and safely and have done for years.

I think commonsense plays a huge part in the task and I sure do know where and how I should be laying cables correctly for a particular environment, installing lights/switches safely.

Any electrical wiring will be out of live stock's reach and like I said before, wiring will be kept well clear of steel and if so, conduit will be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back