Terminal strip vs Crimp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am struggling to understand how a crimped connection provides a better mechanical and electrical connection than a terminal strip.
With a double screw terminal strip you can overlay the cables and screw them down tightly. A crimped connection, with say a 1mm single core cable, seems feeble.
Am I alone in thinking this? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
A properly crimped joint will effectively fuse the two separate pieces of conductor into one.

Would you overlay small csa single core cables within the crimp butt?
Regards, Mike.

The crimp connector when crimped with the correct crimp tool will meet certain pull tests so it is a far better connection but can not be undone.

People do put more cables into a crimp than they should but you need to make sure that the electrical load is not too high and that the cables are well crimped

The terminal strip is subject to how tightly the screws are done up and these can have the cables pulled out, also it is not fully insulated, so someone could touch the terminal with a screwdriver when live, there is a cover now supplied to incase the terminal connector strip. If it's a connection that you may want to add to or change the terminal strip is the better option.

Sponsored Links
a screwed connection can loosen

IMO this seems to happen most in the first few hours after it has been made, as the soft copper gives way.

I'm sure we've all tightened a terminal and gone back to it some time later and got another half a turn on it.

Crimps are far better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back