Terminating an armoured cable into a plastic box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it ok to terminate an armoured cable directly into a plastic 2 -way garage consumer unit providing the brass ring is used with the gland kit for the earth return ? The armoured cable is the garage feed.

Sponsored Links
you need to specify if the cable has an earth wire for a definate answer.
but I would use the gland and nut with a washer either side of the plastic for strength if the cable is earthed

It's fine to terminate SWA into a plastic enclosure, although you need to be the judge of whether or not said enclosure is strong enough to take the mechanical stress the cable may put on it. If the armour is the only earth you're providing then I would use a Piranha earth nut as opposed to a banjo/metal tag through the enclosure.

Sponsored Links
The cable is 3 core so one core will be the earth , but what if it was 2 - core ? If the brass ring is used along with a 5mm brass nut and bolt and it tests out ok then is this good enough ?

The cable is 3 core so one core will be the earth , but what if it was 2 - core ? If the brass ring is used along with a 5mm brass nut and bolt and it tests out ok then is this good enough ?

Yes, that sounds fine.

even if you are not using the armour as the earth, you need to earth it as it is an extraneous (or is it exposed? my memory aint what it used to be!) conductive part. You can just pirana nuts for termination into plastic - they are quite nifty!

I guess that would be exposed, on account of the possibility of the armour becoming live due to a failure of basic insulation. I suppose there could also be some odd effects due to induced current if you didn't connect the armour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back