Armour termination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has asked my opinion on a survey for a house purchase which is 3-4 years old, there are a couple of electrical points to be rectified prior to advance. I have not seen the installation so i'm passing on the buyers description, of the report and the situation.

1] Cold water pipe not earthed - It seems to be plastic as is the majority of the heating system but dhws seems to be metal.

Assuming this is plastic, which seems to be common these days I don't see a problem.

2] Armoured cables from CU to shed CU and garage CU incorrectly terminated - CU's are plastic and armour cables have the armour run in sleeving direct to the earth bar at main CU only. These were add ons and have certs.

I have seen this quite a lot in the past when the glands were more expensive and still do see it in resin filled joints. Assuming the mechanical issue is elsewhere and not at he CU, personally I see no actual reason for fitting a gland per se. Any first thoughts before I see it?

BTW Every circuit in all CU's is a rcbo

Sponsored Links
1) the main earth bond must be made as close as practical to the service on entering the building after the internal stop tap.
It is possible that the majority of the pipe work is plastic but rarely the entire rising main.
2) Don't quite understand, are you saying that the ends of the SWA at entry to CUs are not fitted securely with glands?

1) the main earth bond must be made as close as practical to the service on entering the building after the internal stop tap.
It is possible that the majority of the pipe work is plastic but rarely the entire rising main.
2) Don't quite understand, are you saying that the ends of the SWA at entry to CUs are not fitted securely with glands?
Regarding the SWA, it could comply regarding earthing and some method of securing the cables, but does not follow MI's. It's something I've never seen and indicates incompetence and I would have serious doubts about the rest of the installation. And I would imagine the certs are pure fiction.

On the otherhand it could be split concentric.

I haven't seen it yet and understand there are no glands.

My daughters house of around the same age has no copper pipework except the gas and water pipes around the boiler, the rest is pushfit plastic so it would not surprise me if this is the same.

The entire water system as far as I'm able to see is plastic pipes apart from the boiler area which is bonded.

At the house there is a 100x50 plastic trunking running through g/f floor and ceiling with the CU fixed across the front such that all the cables enter through a large hole in the back.

The feed to the garage is a 32A RCBO & 6mm 3C SWA, at the main CU there's no brass gland, the armour is made into 6 bunches and earth sleeved into the earth bar as is the grey wire, it drops down below the floor with all the T&E's, cleated along the floor joists then through the wall in 50mm duct and buried. At the garage end it enters the CU using a nylon stuffing gland & the steel is not terminated.

The feed to the shed/greenhouse is 80m of 16mm split concentric and installed in an identical manner.

The original cert from Sept 2008 and the 2 additions of March & Oct 2009 are all there. All the work is done quite nicely and even the trunking and ducts are stopped with vemiculite or foam.

There is no mechanical integrity or security issue with the cables so in my opinion there is no reason to make any changes except that all the fittings have been changed for a random second hand selection [sockets & switches, guess they were brass?] and the landing light intermediate switch is currently just a 2pole 20A.

Following my visit I had a discussion with the inspector/surveyor [who it turns out is not electrically qualified] and the building society who are now insisting on remedial works and a full PIR before their advance.

My question, is there any obligation to fit brass glands, to do so means pulling out of the trunking and making a join under the floor.

edit, spelling

Sponsored Links
the building society who are now insisting on remedial works and a full PIR before their advance.
Bet your friend is pleased about that.

He'll be even more pleased when he realises SUNRAY's low level of competence.

holmslaw.

Why are you questioning sunrays competence, with these derogatory remarks, people like you are of no help to others, and i find it offensive to read this rubbish.

A Google search found no less than 4 MI's that include this method of terminating the armour, and passed them on to the mortgage company along with a PIR.

Sorted but unnecessary.

And you're sure these documents were to do with SWA, and not, as holmslaw suggested, split-con?

Please post the 4 links you found.

And you're sure these documents were to do with SWA, and not, as holmslaw suggested, split-con?

Please post the 4 links you found.

Yes I am sure especially as there are also references to glands, banjo's and P-nuts.

Recalling some of your previous sarcastic posts instructing others to use [and how how use] google, I'm rather surprised you asked this, its all available via google.

Yes I am sure especially as there are also references to glands, banjo's and P-nuts.
Then your story is b*ll*cks - it is absolutely physically impossible to do up a SWA gland if the armour continues on through it.

Recalling some of your previous sarcastic posts instructing others to use [and how how use] google, I'm rather surprised you asked this, its all available via google.
When it's something blindingly obvious to look for, yes.

But trying to find instructions from SWA manufacturers not to use a SWA gland and to take the armour direct to the earth bar of a CU has not worked for me.

So as I see it you have two choices.

1) Show us where a manufacturer tells people to do that.

2) Be rightfully judged as a complete **** who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Then your story is b*ll*cks - it is absolutely physically impossible to do up a SWA gland if the armour continues on through it.
MI's showing methods [plural] of terminating.

When it's something blindingly obvious to look for, yes.

But trying to find instructions from SWA manufacturers not to use a SWA gland and to take the armour direct to the earth bar of a CU has not worked for me.
So as I see it you have two choices.

1) Show us where a manufacturer tells people to do that.

2) Be rightfully judged as a complete **** who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Admittedly it took a bit of effort but I found it and it was adequate for the mortgage company.

"The feed to the shed/greenhouse is 80m of 16mm split concentric and installed in an identical manner."

Only the DNO cables should be split concentric not the installations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back