Terminating connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Annoyingly, I went to replace the push button of my wired doorbell today and have snapped off the wires and there’s no give.

The chime is wired to the mains, so in terms of replacement, the ideal would be a mains powered chime with a wireless push button...but these don’t seem to exist!

So it looks like a battery powered option is the only option.

Trouble is, I’ll then have redundant live wires behind the new wireless chime. I could just clip and tape them, but I’m guessing that’s not recommended. Am I going to have to get someone in to terminate the connections at the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
they won't be mains 240V.
Near the fusebox will be a transformer and hopefully switch. Just turn it off. That is sufficient.

Annoyingly, I went to replace the push button of my wired doorbell today and have snapped off the wires and there’s no give.

The chime is wired to the mains, so in terms of replacement, the ideal would be a mains powered chime with a wireless push button...but these don’t seem to exist!

Yes they do, or certainly did. I've got one, made by Friedland.

Regarding your broken wires can I suggest you get a small soldering iron and extend them.

they won't be mains 240V.
Near the fusebox will be a transformer and hopefully switch. Just turn it off. That is sufficient.
Yeah it’s definitely mains, it says 230v inside the chime and I think the transformer is in the chime itself.

Sponsored Links
Yes they do, or certainly did. I've got one, made by Friedland.

Regarding your broken wires can I suggest you get a small soldering iron and extend them.
I don’t suppose you can recall the model that you have?

Sadly, soldering won’t work, what’s left of the wiring is too far in the brickwork for me to even try.

Sorted! Found that the bell cable was running into the garage. Pulled it back into the garage away from the bell push and have extended it and pushed it back through. All working!

I didn’t have any bell cable so just used some CAT 5 cable - is this OK? Or should I replace with some proper bell cable?

Many thanks.

A73F7196-C42A-4192-83ED-4651982520C3.jpeg
Or maybe the original installer had used CAT cable anyway? See pic, the cable in going into the top of the bloc is the ordinal and at the bottom is my extension... obviously I’ll tidy it all up...

The top cable is cat6. Pretty much any cable at all will be fine for a bell push.

The top cable is cat6. Pretty much any cable at all will be fine for a bell push.
Thank you. But since I’ve used cat5e to extend the cable, is this ok/safe given this it’s coming from a 240v chime albeit with a transformer? Many thanks.

Yes it will be fine as your doorbell unit will contain a transformer which reduces the voltage to about 8V at the bell push.

I filled with my brother's doorbell in a 50's flat and was surprised to find that 240v went to the door push
Thankfully I try to avoid touching any exposed cables as a matter of routine

I recently bought a doorbell from Amazon that plugs into a 13A socket and has a battery operated push button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back