1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

terminating unwanted socket

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by lancenotalot, 13 Apr 2009.

1. lancenotalot

lancenotalot

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a socket in my kitchen that is not used and want to remove it and tile over.What method should I use please?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. industryspark

industryspark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The best thing you can do is remove the leg of the circuit that comes to the socket and the leg that goes to the next socket (assuming ring circuit) and re-instate the ring between the 2 points you have left.

If the socket is a spur then you could disconnect from where it is spurred from which would be easier.

Another option would be to keep the existing ring together by crimping the legs together and heatshrinking over them. This way would allow you to conceal the cables and joints in the wall as crimping is classed as a permanent joint. Be carefull if you choose this option though not to 'erase' any cable zones by removing accessories, yet leaving live cables in the wall.

What you mustn't do is bury a junction box in the wall behind tiling as any joint like this has to be accesible for inspection.

4. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local