Filling in unwanted socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an unwanted mains socket which I want to tile over. I'm not able to remove all the wiring, I just want to fill it in safely.

I'm thinking that after removing the socket I'll cover the wire contacts with insulating tape, and then use filler, and then tile over.

Is this safe enough?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm thinking that after removing the socket I'll cover the wire contacts with insulating tape, and then use filler, and then tile over.

Is this safe enough?

Unfortunately not. I guess 'wire contacts' are terminal block, which you would then tape over? In any case, check the WIKI with regard to safe zones. You'll see that it's necessary to have an exposed electrical accessory either horizontally or vertically inline with the cable run, thus making it obvious that the cable is there and (hopefully) preventing anyone from drilling into it in the future.

There are ways around this such as using earthed armour sheathed cable or protection by earth metal conduit, but these would still require ripping out the cable and replacing it. You will need to bring it back into the loft/under the floor (depending on where it goes) and either disconnect at the source or terminate in a junction box.

Bear in mind that if you use a JB, it either needs to be accessible for future inspection or a more permanent jointing method such as through crimps or solder jointing the cables.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have another accessory inline with the existing cable run to create a safe zone, you wont need to worry. You should, however, make the joint with crimps or solder and then heatshrink over the entire lot. It's not acceptable to put any kind of screwed joint, such as terminal block, into a plaster-filled wall.

I'd say not. All junctions and joints need to be accessible. I have seen this done, but would advise against it.

If the socket is no longer required, try to reroute the ring so that you can then fill and tile as required. You could always tile, and then put a blanking plate over the old socket making it accessible if needs be, but that can look ugly. It may be possble to crimp the connectors which could agruably be acceptable, but there is a school of thought that says they aren't any more reliable than chock strip.

Personally I'd go for rerouting the ring so that you can chop the socket out completely.

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks for quick responses. I can see I'll be back to these forums.

I think I'll use a blanking plate for now. I don't have the option of removing the cable.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back