need help removing a single electric socket

526.1 The selection of the means of connection shall take account of, as appropriate:
(i) The material of the conductor and its insulation.
526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool.
Indeed, and I personally find it pretty amazing (no matter what type of cable) that any crimped connections are allowed to be non-accessible.

If you take the view that single solid cores are not suitable for crimping then it does not comply.
Well, personally speaking, I do take that view - but I am clearly in a minority. Mind you, I wouldn't want crimped joints even of stranded cables, particularly if non-accessible, in my house, either - so that again presumably puts me in a minority.

Kindest Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Also you may not join cables using a screwed joint (e.g. a connector block) and then tile over it, it has to remain accessible for inspection. To tile over a joint you'd need to crimp it.

Use a crimper like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not like this:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

PS - Why is the album containing those photos called "bathroom socket"? :eek:

BAS...how much d'ya get paid for all this advertising then.... :D

Its not a good idea, its an extremely bad idea.

Cable, crimps amd crimpers are all sized to fit together in a accurately designed and proven manner. If you start stuffing any size or number of cables in to anysize crimps, you will end with a severely weakened joint due to inaccurate compression of the cable and crimp.

really, so why are red crimps are sized for a range from 0.5mm² to 1.5mm² and that yellow ones are ranged from 4.0mm² to 6.0mm²?

Sponsored Links
So I guess Wago lever connection blocks are ok, as it a form of compression tool?

A compression joint when done properly with the right tool results in some cold welding of the conductors. Cold welds are resistant to corrosion and oxidation of the metal forming the contact area.

A lever sprung joint does not ( can not ) exert enough pressure to create any cold weld effect so the contact areas is likely to be affected by corrosion and/or oxidisation over a period of time in some environments.

If it relies on screw or spring pressure then in my opinion the joint must be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back