Removing sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house. These sockets are right in the middle of a wall at head height (the previous owner had a wall mounted tv). I'm never going to need them and want to wallpaper the wall. To remove them do I just turn off the power, remove the sockets, wrap some electrical tape around the wires and shove them in the wall ... or is there a better option?!

Not too worried about tv/phone wires but not sure about the electric ones!

IMG_5683.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The aerial and data sockets you can do whatever you like with.

The power socket is more of problem. Electrical wiring must be in "safe zones", see the wiki for a full definition of that. Essentially for you, it means you cannot leave the cable in place without the socket or at least a blanking panel there to show that the wiring is there. If you want to have a flat finished wall, then the cable must be removed from the wall at least as far as the floor of ceiling void it is fed from. Also, tape in not acceptable, the cable must be terminated in a proper junction box. If the junction box is to be placed in an inaccessible location such as a ceiling void, then it must be of the maintenance free type.

Just moved into a new house. These sockets are right in the middle of a wall at head height (the previous owner had a wall mounted tv). I'm never going to need them and want to wallpaper the wall. To remove them do I just turn off the power, remove the sockets, wrap some electrical tape around the wires and shove them in the wall ... or is there a better option?!

Not too worried about tv/phone wires but not sure about the electric ones!

View attachment 238205

What is the wall the made of?

Do you wires come down from the ceiling, or up from the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back