need help removing a single electric socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to seal this electric socket so i can tile over it .

i thought i could open the socket cover , cut the wire short, black taped them separately and tiles over it but when i remove the socket i saw there are 6 wires connected to the socket,
now if i cut the wire and black taped them separate will i lose an other electric connection to other socket?

what are my option?

Sponsored Links
Yes - or no, but in either case it's a no-no. If the socket's on the ring then separating the wires will split the ring, and you'll then have two radials presumably on a 32A MCB (or 30A fuse) which is inadequate protection. If it's a radial you'll lose power to one or more other sockets.

What you could do is remove the socket, connect the wires back together with connector blocks and then cover it all over ... BUT then no one will ever know that there are wires behind that bit of wall, and one day someone will drill into them or discover them with the ends of a cold chisel.

Can't you leave the socket there and tile round it?

PJ

Also you may not join cables using a screwed joint (e.g. a connector block) and then tile over it, it has to remain accessible for inspection. To tile over a joint you'd need to crimp it.

Use a crimper like this:

DVDHCR15.JPG

not like this:

mediaa543490cl2.jpg

PS - Why is the album containing those photos called "bathroom socket"? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Also you may not join cables using a screwed joint (e.g. a connector block) and then tile over it, it has to remain accessible for inspection. To tile over a joint you'd need to crimp it, but you can't get 3-way crimps.
Not that I trust crimps, particularly when non-accessible, but ....

....the photo seems to indicate that the '6 wires' to which the op referered consist of 2xL, 2xN and 2xCPC. If true, 3-way crimps would not be required.

In passing, for those who do trust crimps, why on earth do they not make 3-way (or even 'more-way') ones? One can easily envisage some sort of Y-shaped animal - although they would clearly be much more expensive to produce than bog-standard straight butt crimps.

Kind Regards, John.]

He could also just twist the wires together and wrap them in sellotape.

He could also just leave them loose, hope they never touch and hope that a broken ring never becomes a problem.

Do not tell people "You could, but..." when what you're telling them they could do is something they must never do under any circumstances.

....the photo seems to indicate that the '6 wires' to which the op referered consist of 2xL, 2xN and 2xCPC. If true, 3-way crimps would not be required.
You're absolutely right - dunno what I was thinking of.

I've corrected my post to avoid distracting the OP.

In passing, for those who do trust crimps, why on earth do they not make 3-way (or even 'more-way') ones? One can easily envisage some sort of Y-shaped animal - although they would clearly be much more expensive to produce than bog-standard straight butt crimps.

I've corrected my post to avoid distracting the OP.
Thanks.

Is that just three crimp terminals rivited together by the user, or is it a commercially produced item? ... and how does one 'cover it up'; heat-shrink would clearly not be a very viable possibility?

Edit: I suppose if one was doing the riviting oneself, one could put some bends in one of the terminals and then have all three in-line, so that large heatshrink could be used.

Edit2: ... but would a pop-riviter count as a suitable 'compression tool' per the regs?

Kind Regards, John

Assuming the buried cable is in conduit, could you not push the wires back down to the void below and join them in a junction box?

[quote="JohnW2";p="1989860]Not that I trust crimps, particularly when non-accessible, but ....

If true, 3-way crimps would not be required.

[/quote]

why would three way crimps be required when you are only joining pairs of cables??

As Idoodle has mentioned, you need to find where both of those cables go to. With any luck it will be in a floor void or similar. If this is the case you can join the cables together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back