What to do with live wires when decorating (Sockets Off etc)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im currently decorating my kitchen and need to remove a couple of plugs & sockets for a couple of weeks.

I obviously don’t want to leave the live wires exposed or taped over etc and I can’t turn the power off just to those plugs/sockets.

Is there a device I can buy to “cap” over the wires safely until the sockets are ready to go back in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do you really need to leave them off for so long? you could buy some blanking faceplates and use terminal blocks to terminate wires and keep any ring complete.

Rather than faceplate, I believe you can buy cardboard to prevent paint getting on cables etc...

Masking tape and paint round the socket? Also if it is emulsion I find that if you do get any on the socket it just wipes off anyway.

Sponsored Links
Every switch and socket faceplate in my house has been "painted around" and i've been cursing the bell ends that did it every time i go near a fitting.

The paint means the faceplate is stuck to the wall, and removing it wrecks the finish around it. Furthermore because they've not painted properly behind the socket upto the edge of the backbox, my new, standard, accessories which are a slightly different size/shape to the original horrible metal ones mean that now EVERY room needs redecorating.

So whatever you do, dont paint around the sockets. Take them off and do it properly like you originally planned.

You could use something like Wago blocks to joint the wires together while the fascias are off.

The paint means the faceplate is stuck to the wall, and removing it wrecks the finish around it.

you can use a knife to carefully cut the join and allow you to remove it without damage.

So whatever you do, dont paint around the sockets. Take them off and do it properly like you originally planned.

I tend to leave them loose and maybe put a sandwich bag over to stop paint getting on. No kids around though.

What I do is run a knief around the socket before trying to remove it.

This usually prevents plaster being pulled away with the socket.

Then just pull the socket forward and paint round it, rather than bother to remove it.

Obviously not very safe if you have kids etc....

Yeh i realise i could use a stanley (though that didnt help the first time) but the bigger issue is the fact that the wall behind the switches are unpainted, so the new slightly smaller switch face means theres a border round each faceplate.

In some rooms they've even plastered/filled around the swtiches, so theres now an actual step in the wall rather than just different paint color too.

As aboive, Wago connectors. Remember, if you remove sockets then you break the ring final. So you need to connect the ends together, or there's a risk that the wiring can be overloaded = fire/etc…..
Or you may find that some other sockets don't work = defrosted freezer etc…..

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I didnt make it too clear. When I mean decorate I mean have the walls re-skimmed then painted over. Also Im fitting a new kitchen myself so all of the sockets (incl light switch - plugs - ceiling light etc) have to come off & stay off for a bit - hence the need to isolate the wires.

There is only me & the good lady in the house and the house will be left empty during the day so I need something that can be left unattended etc.

Thanks

Check out wago connectors mate. I've just used them as I didn't have time to finish my electrics so instead of fitting faceplates everywhere to maintain the ring and get electric back on, I used wagos. Genius bit of kit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back