new socket not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie here, bought a new house so may be around a bit.

I've just installed a new socket as a spur off a socket on a ring. I have 2.5mm ring cable, with the relevant wires in the relevant connectors at both ends. All done and ready. I test the new socket (it's a twin) and all's fine: the live shows live and there is no current in either the earth or the neutral. As it should be.

I plug in an appliance (a clock radio). The clock radio doesn't work. I test it in the socket I've taken the spur off and it's fine. I put it back in the new socket and it doesn't work. I test the socket again. Live is live, neutral isn't, etc. I plug the radio back in and test the terminals in the socket. ALL FOUR are live: the live and the neutral on the socket the radio is plugged in to and the live and the neutral in the other socket in the twin until that have nothing plugged in.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong? I've done some serious head scratching, and I'm baffled. I mean, there's not a lot of leeway for getting it wrong, and unless I have early onset Alzheimer's, I'm pretty sure I remember what I did.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In the socket where you have connceted the cable for the new one, the neutral is loose or not connected.

Alternatively the cable is damaged and the neutral is broken. (Possible but very unlikely).

What did you use to test the connections?
Isolate circuit check at both the socket you have taken the spur from and
the socket you have added for loose connection or non connected conductors.

Sponsored Links
Thanks flameport, spot on. Must have popped out when I screwed the socket back.

Do yourself a favour then & check the CPC hasn't gone the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back