SOCKET NOT WORKING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
socket been working fine but now when i plug some thing in the neutral goes live changed socket but still goes live every plug in the room is fine just that one can some one HELP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
socket been working fine but now when i plug some thing in the neutral goes live changed socket but still goes live every plug in the room is fine just that one can some one HELP!!!!!

some full stops and commas might help.

Sponsored Links
Obvious answer is the neutral connection to the socket is no longer connecte to the neutral bar in the consumer unit. This strongly suggests a broken conductor in a cable feeding the socket or a loose terminal in another socket from which this socket is fed.

The apparent "live" on the neutral will be a voltage coming from the real live pin through the appliance plugged in.

Obvious answer is the neutral connection to the socket is no longer connecte to the neutral bar in the consumer unit. This strongly suggests a broken conductor in a cable feeding the socket or a loose terminal in another socket from which this socket is fed.

The apparent "live" on the neutral will be a voltage coming from the real live pin through the appliance plugged in.

Don't disgree as it is the obvious conclusion. Except, if it's a ring final then we have two such faults, each exactly adjacent on each side of this socket.

And how did the OP come to this exact conclusion. Too many times a poster will make a definitive statement based on waving a neon screwdriver at the problem.

Have you thought to isolate the circuit and remove the socket and look behind at the connections :eek:

I prefer a non-pistol design.

I might consider one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98687...WI-10-8V-LiN-10-8V-Li-Ion-Angled-Drill-Driver

Most of my power tools are Blue Bosch or Makita - not a fan of B&D etc, BUT - I do only use the screwdriver for screws, not drilling as well, and not for long periods, so I do find that B&D OK. It's small and light, the NiCd cells can be replaced when they're sh*gged, and the whole thing is cheap enough to chuck & replace without tears if it breaks. If I needed one to use for hours all day and every day it would be no use.

One great feature, and it's the opposite of a great drawback I've found when looking at Bosch, Makita etc in the past, is the way the direction is selected. An awful lot of them have a 2-way rocker or slide switch, and it's too easy when using it upside down with your hand cocked at a strange angle, particularly of it's not your usual hand, to press or slide it the wrong way.

With the B&D you slide the switch to select direction, and then press to make it go, and it's not possible to get that wrong no matter how oddly you're holding it. Also, unlike a pistol shape you can use your thumb or any 4 fingers to press the button, depending on what's most convenient.

I do note, though, that since I last needed a new one Bosch have gone over to using a separate direction selector, which is excellent news. Maybe I should start trawling eBay for a bargain GWI.... ;)

Neon screwdrivers put the fear of god in me, years ago when I was doing my practical work experience I had a neon which I thought was the kit (I was wrong), the gaffer took the resistor out of it and replaced it with a screw when I went to get my lunch, bloomin hurt and the poor little neon capsule went off like a camera flash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back