Terrified of alarm

Holy sh** you mean there are more buttons inside those boxes? :D

I must admit i tried to take off the cover of the top box to have a looksee inside and all hell went loose with alarms so i panicked entered the code a few times and then it cleared... anti tamper i assume. Triggered it again when i pulled off the PIR cover and i havent had the guts to touch it since!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

The PIR is still naked in our newly decorated room.

OK time for the professionals :)

LOL No there wont be any bottons inside the psu, its just the box looks very like a scantronic 9100 blank end-station, could be wrong tho, as i'm only 28 lol, the 9100 was the very first system i worked on when i was 16 ;)

So whats the keypad displaying now?? manager or engineer reset??

"CALL MANAGER RESET REQUIRED"

(thats the box shouting not me ! )

So this is a bit of a dinosaur then from googling it, in terms of spare parts. Not a big deal for us as we dont use it.. yet.

Sponsored Links
so its not setup for engineer on tamper then!!!

Think i've got 1 new g60 board left in the store, v4.37 i think, yours will be v1.xx so fairly old.

Thats the best thing to do tho m8y, call around a few good local Co's

I had that msg before, and just entered the code a few times to clear it. I am not going to touch it now though - been like that for months lol

Sponsored Links
as everyone else says;

please don't play with this bit of kit, it is a good system and should last you years and years, very solid and dependable.

yep the Mk 2 keypads are a bit dated, but if they work ok, leave em alone!

get a local alarm company to you to sort it out, there are a few good ones in your area, don't go for the big boys, IE Aunt Daisy, because they will charge you ££££££ to do, not alot.

when you talk to one of the local firms tell them that you have the following fitted;

Galaxy 60 end station
MK 2 keypads

with this information they, or should, know what you have fitted, if they don't do Galaxy (not all firms do) find a firm that does,

and no it does not need up grading or changing out for a new flashy one!!!
it will work for years, i should know, thats all we fit!!!!! (except when we `take over` a system that is still in good working order)

we have a couple of sites in Cardiff as well!! back there to do a GEntlemans club next week as it happens, thats going to have a Galaxy on it.

so to re iterate; do not remove any thing from it or take covers off, otherwise, as you know, it will make one hell of a noise!!!!

PS
get the firm to fit new batteries in the control panel, and change the external sounder (noisy thing outside)

Oasis

Right, It is definitely the time to get a Pro in as earlier suggested.

The Galaxy is a very good and flexible alarm system.

The needs of the previous owner were addressed at the time, they might not be yours though.

BUT, from what you say you have a fully comprehensive system there, it would be a shame to mess with it.

Instruction on how to use it is necessary, there can be so many variables, it's easy when you know.

Re codes, the Galaxy can have many different levels of code, with a possible total of abt. 200 different codes. Get the idea?

You need on site help, save the pennies (or is it New Pence?) and get someone in.

Finally after this rant(?) don't be afraid of it, you just have to know how it all works etc. A lot of money was spent on having this system installed, make the most of your good fortune.

Europlex

Europlex is again very correct.

the ssytem is a good one, but NOT complicated to use, in fact its a very easy system to use.

and when it was fitted it must have cost the previous owner a hell of a lot of money.

Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on!!

Oasis

Thank you all for the information, much appreciated. This is really a great forum!

I will update here once i've got someone in to look at it.

Cheers.

PS
get the firm to fit new batteries in the control panel, and change the external sounder (noisy thing outside)

Oasis

I have an invoice for a battery replacement (x2, lead acid iirc) carried out recently (last couple of years I think). I'll contact that company as a starting point.

just curious why you suggest changing the external sounder.. or do you mean changing the battery in the external sounder.

Oh and while i think of it, there are x3 intercoms in the house with a Key button on them, for remote opening the front door - the remote opener motor/servo is long gone, but I wondered if this is likely to be interfaced to the alarm system in some way? There is a panel on the outside of the house by the front door which presumably contains the microphone.

Reason i'm asking, i was going to remove the handsets and exterior panel but if its all linked i guess i better take care... :D

just curious why you suggest changing the external sounder.. or do you mean changing the battery in the external sounder.

Oh and while i think of it, there are x3 intercoms in the house with a Key button on them, for remote opening the front door - the remote opener motor/servo is long gone, but I wondered if this is likely to be interfaced to the alarm system in some way? There is a panel on the outside of the house by the front door which presumably contains the microphone.

Reason i'm asking, i was going to remove the handsets and exterior panel but if its all linked i guess i better take care... :D

Sometimes its a good idea to upgrade the EWD or external sab sounder in old money, if its as old as yours is. I assume your system has been serviced too, so it may have been deemed to be in satisfactory condition and in working order. would imagine you have the old yellow hex modern alarms box which could infact be a bell.

With regard to your intercom system, it possible its linked to the intruder system but unlikely. just be carefull around the mains if you're going to be removing it.

Rip it out get a nice yale 6400 wireless job.
easy to install
Does the same job
And no overpriced nonsense from some dodgy installer who will likely try and sign you up to a maintenance context

Sensors trip and bells ring ........................no one takes any notice unless you are in

OP ignore the above comments from spacecat, utter rubbish as usual!!

spacecat how dare you post that rubbish on a nice clean thread, your inapt comments are not welcome here, the op has a perfectly good and PROPER alarm system.

the access control system that you have.

if you do not use it, you can remove it, but be careful as some were there will be a power supply unit connected to the mains supply.

the company you choose should be able to isolate the supply to the access control system (if you ask the engineer, most of us professional installers do not mind doing the odd bits at the request of the client, but thats only some of us!!)

all you can do is ask, they might say no, but i doubt it.

and stick with the equipment you have, as i and others have said, its good equipment and will do you ok, for a very long time.

and the reason i advised changing the external sounder is that whoever you get to do your alarm might want to put there siren on the outside, but again that is up to you.

also if you want to purchase a maintenance agreement from the installer.
you can, but you are not forced to, its the clients choice.

if you require the system to be an integral part of your insurance agreement, you may need to, but again talk to the installer.

(if you have declared that you have an alarm fitted, you may have to have it maintained, some insurance companies require this but some don't, its up to you)

don't have the system removed, just have it serviced and tested, and make sure that you have an operators manual for it.

if your alarm company has not got one, call me and i will send you a copy.

and please pay no attention to certain people who would rather try to tell you that a Yale wireless system is as good as what you have, they are not, yes they still make a noise, if they are triggered, but what you have is far superior to any wireless DIY system.

if you need any further advice, post again and we will try to help you in any way we can.

Oasis

OP ignore the above comments from spacecat, utter rubbish as usual!!

spacecat how dare you post that rubbish on a nice clean thread, your inapt comments are not welcome here, the op has a perfectly good and PROPER alarm system.

Doesn't sound like its doing a good job to me

What's the cost versus the risk?

Unless your insurance requires it don't bother you will likely end up paying through the nose for stuff you don't need, based on fear that is unwarranted .

Make sure you have good perimeter security and locks and forget this over priced nonsense

Obviously spacedoutcat can't read and his level of comprehension is also limited.

Just to help a bit, dormermike inherited the alarm when he bought the house, he does not know how to use it or what it does/can do.

Note the title of this thread - "Terrified of alarm".

By now, you will see that some of the encouragement and sensible advice has been noted and he is going to do the right thing.

Butt out spacecat unless you have something sensible to contribute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back