Terrified of alarm

Europlex;

very well said mate, those who have given advice actually know what they are doing!!!

(as we actually do this for a living!!!)

enough said.

Sponsored Links
How about a NON vested interest point of view?

Weigh up how much it is going to cost to put right and the ongoing maintenance costs if any and see whether it's worth the risk

Are you in a high crime area
Have you got lots of valuables

The vast majority of burglaries are opportunistic good basic security is the best defence

most of an alarms value is its deterrent effect don't pay a fortune for that.

If they are gonna break in anyway no alarm no matter how pricey will stop them

Don't buy what you probably don't need

OK i'll jump back in :)

The alarm is already fitted to the house and it seems to work fine - I dont have the cash to spend upgrading it, but dont mind spending a bit to find out how to use it and get it configured. Sounds like we have a good un so i may as well use it until it breaks at which point, we then make a call on what to do (no doubt i'll be asking on here! :) )

I agree about the physical security/basic security controls being in place and I already have these. Alarm would be peice of mind for my wife when i'm away, or when we are all on holidays. If I find it has a tendency to go off for not reason it won't get used (thats my main concern about alarm systems.. false alarms). Panic buttons and perimeter security will likely be all that we use. The garage is also configured with PIR and window/door sensors so it would be good to make use of that (not that the insurance company cared either way).

Thanks all for your help. Case closed for now I think - i'll update here when I get some more progress, in case that helps others who might have the same system.

Cheers!!

Mike

Hi Mike,
Wow leave you alone for 5 mins and the thread goes haywire!

My learned friends are all correct in what they say, it is a fine a damn fine system. A knowledgeable company could revert all codes withour disturbing the programming or set it up to your EXACT needs. As stated it would have cost a lot of money when installed.

Lads the other box looks like a 9800 panel bet its been gutted and used as a PSU.

Spacecats comments are just that, comments about which he knows nothing.
Comparing a Yale to this is like comparing a Fiat Uno to a Aston Martin!
Spacecat has clearly no idea about how and why systems are fitted.

Its a good system, the legacy Galaxy`s being the best. I personally have a 3g-144 panel, with the newer MK7 keypads, very powerful kit, yours not being that far behind. It will do everything you need and more.
If the worst come to the worst I can talk you thru a proceedure to get it up and running. You`ll need a landline next to the panel for this to work.
But your better off getting someone who knows the panel well. So they can reprog to your exact needs.

Personally I love them, got a few out there fully loaded - G520 with 520 zones multiple sounders/strobes ect. Great fun.

Anyway, as the other well informed have mentioned keep it and get it worked on, cannit say what you would be charged. With me about £120 would cover it with 2 batts. But I would only need 1/2 hour with it.
Get 3 quotes and as before tell them it is a G60 with a PSU.

Good luck and please do keep in touch.

Regards
Alarm

Sponsored Links
PS, your not obliged to take out a maintainence contract.
So dont feel pressured when asked.
Also if your not, ask for your own engineer code to be fitted.
This is within your rights to do so.

As Spacer says you will probably be asked. It is one factor how alarm companies make their money. Not a thing to use as a bargining point in this type of instance. Rules would be different on a Policed system.

Again Regards

Alarm

OK thanks chaps, point taken. It does look a bit of work i must admit hence my fear.. it seems to be embedded in the house, x3 control panels and PIR sensors everywhere. I thought there was a clap sensor in the bathroom but it is a window smash sensor. There are two panic buttons too - an old dear who lived here before so maybe she was scared living on her own.

Anyway mucho gracias for the info - i'll call a local firm when funds allow.

Attached a pic of the two boxes btw.. i figure one of these has the battery in it then as when i pull the power at the CU, the control panel trips over to battery. Batts were replaced a couple of years ago luckily dread to think what they cost.

Cheers.

Hello

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but after investigating a rotten egg smell in the room where the alarm gear is, i found the culprit to be the lower/smaller of the two boxes as shown in the photo above. The box is giving off a bit of heat too, i dont recall it being noticeably warm before. It shows as 49c on an IR thermometer. I am sure this is the source of the smell too.

I probably need to get someone out, but as its a saturday evening, does anyone have any thoughts on what this could be? I cant turn the system off, afaik.

Thanks!

Hello Mike, welcome back!

Remember this bit "Thanks all for your help. Case closed for now I think - i'll update here when I get some more progress, in case that helps others who might have the same system."

I've been looking for this forward to this for 18 months, where have you been?

Going to slap your wrist now, you haven't changed the batteries have you?

Remembering there is a mains supply inside BOTH boxes, turning it off is best best, then you've got to, at least, remove the battery in the lower box as it is obviously, excuse the term, stuffed. - Then turn the mains back on.

Both Batts need changing, best to be safe than sorry.

Sorry about the mixed up waffle, it's early on a Sunday morning and I'm knackered, out all day yesterday but I'm sure you get the idea.

I always find it difficult how to word the advise on battery changing to a layman, it's something I do every day without thinking, with the mains on.
I'm not advocating you do it like me though, best to be safe.

Please, be safe, AND give us an update on the system, has it been ok etc?

Europlex

ps Top box the Control Panel, Bottom box a Power Supply Unit (PSU) that also might have 'stuff' fitted, pictures when lids off? - Please.

Hello! Sorry, I have been very bad. The panel still says manager reset and a new arrival took priority I am afraid ;)

The batteries were replaced in 2009 but I guess they won't last forever.

Box is cooler this morning and no smell, wonder if they only get charged at night?

Anyway thanks for the reply and I have reached out to a local firm to help with it. My main fear is alarm setting house on fire seconded by alarm goog off in middle of night and no way to stop it!! Haha

Thanks again much appreciated, and I WILL update sooon.. promise :)

[quote="dormermike";p="2519320" My main fear is alarm setting house on fire seconded by alarm goog off in middle of night and no way to stop it!! [/quote]
If it's of any help to dis-spell your fears, in 40yrs+ of alarms, everything from garden sheds to places I can't even mention and everything in between (except banks), I can safely say I've seen alarm panels melt and end up on the floor, but I've NEVER, EVER, seen one set any building on fire.

If you are worried about something electrical heating up then get it disconnected.!! and checked out!

While an alarm panel may never have blown up a power supply or transformer may well have done

If you are worried about something electrical heating up then get it disconnected.!! and checked out!

While an alarm panel may never have blown up a power supply or transformer may well have done

That's my concern though, I can't seem to disconnect it, there is no plug as such. Have asked a local firm to check it out, will ask them how to shut it down if i ever need to.

Cheers

The alarm is connected to the mains supply via an unswitched fused spur, if it was as simple as unplugging it, it would be useless as an alarm.

Even if you pull the fuse out the back up battery will continue to power the system (assuming the battery is ok), if you pull the battery and the fuse the external/internal sounders will operate, the external may stop after the 20 minute window, depends on whether the internal sounder (which may have backup batteries aswell) have the link connected.

For your own safety you should not remove the cover from any equipment without isolating the supply.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, the Galaxy series will stay saying "CALL MANAGER RESET REQUIRED" until you have closed the tamper on the "naked" pir in the bedroom. Once closed the display will go back to normal, (time and date displayed) If the time is incorrect this has no operational effect.

If in doing this you set the tamper alarm off (internal beeping) just key in your pin number to silence.

If your unsure you should call a company to come sort it, you could call the original company, if your concerned about the cost, ask how much the callout is before the engineer attends. Since your outside London you should get good engineers.

Thanks AlarmMan!

I realise about the spur and not being as simple as unplugging it, I figured there must be a shutdown procedure of sorts.

I have an alarm company on board, quoting £85 ex for service and show how to use it, and £40ex to replace batts and check for other damage.

Thanks AlarmMan!

I realise about the spur and not being as simple as unplugging it, I figured there must be a shutdown procedure of sorts.

I have an alarm company on board, quoting £85 ex for service and show how to use it, and £40ex to replace batts and check for other damage.
Go for it. This will give you more confidence in the system in the end.

As we said back in March last year, you have an excellent system there.

What ever happens don't be talked into buying a new system.

Jumping in a bit late here but hey ho ,

That system is a Professional quality one and to be honest one of the best IMO, i was at a friends computer repair shop, and he was renewing his insurance who required his alarm to be maintained, so he got one in from the yellow pages, and talked him into removing his galaxy 60 , and "disposing" of it environmentally, and putting a nice new 9448+ "Style" in, at this point he rang me and i jumped nearly ran there and dismissed them immediately.
First of all , his was installed by a top company here in hull, and it was an extremely neat and good quality job. Second "Dispose of it" Excuse me but no a chance in hell for a 9448 ! and theres nothing wrong with it, its actually been very little used and the RKP looks brand new , i am going to undertake the service , and he's switching insurers to one who he has declared the alarm to , but said it not serviced by NSI company , but still maintained by me of course, I will Reprogram the codes , and have me as the engineer, change the bell from a Ventcroft compact to rapier 6000 , change the PIR's to 6 OPTEX MX-40QZ's , a nice new yuassa 7AH battery , a full service, all wire inspected, checked for continuity , and check for strangled wires, etc, replace D/C 's check, charging circuit, AUX voltages etc, Replace panic buttons to 2 nice new Stainless Steel with tamper PADP2/SS , from CQR , and whatever else neccassry on site :) and the rest of the service as my usal , he talked me into a deal , upgrading my PC :)

So keep your system and dont be talked into changing it !

Thanks Mad Man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back