Test and Trace - if someone calls you

‘How will I know if someone rings me from track & trace & tells me to isolate, that they are genuine’ John from Gloucester.

Jenny Harries, deputy CMO: ‘It will be very obvious. These are professionally trained individuals. It will be evident from how they speak.’

Jenny Harries really is a shill.

This has the potential to be open up to fraud.
I think fraud has already been attempted unfortunately. Having caller display would help because they will only call from 0300 013 5000. I'd be tempted to get a reference number and call them back to be sure though

Sponsored Links
I think fraud has already been attempted unfortunately. Having caller display would help because they will only call from 0300 013 5000. I'd be tempted to get a reference number and call them back to be sure though
It's relatively trivial to fake those numbers. It should be possible to call back on a publicly available line to confirm identity. Even that isnt foolproof but it does help.

And if when phoning back you find yourself on a 5 hour queuing system listening to horrible music and irritating voice-overs every 20 seconds telling you how important your call is; then you will know it probably was a uk.gov department.

Sponsored Links
It's relatively trivial to fake those numbers. It should be possible to call back on a publicly available line to confirm identity. Even that isn't foolproof but it does help.
Yes, I was surprised to discover that there are companies in the UK who actually sell this as a service. I know the feature to have a specified number sent to the recipient of a call was added in the '90s, so companies could have many outgoing lines but control over their incoming line to one central switchboard or call routing kit. I am alarmed to see the feature is now sold to all and sundry by non-telecom companies, seemingly without checks. To me it's a means to defraud the recipient.

Back