test downlight Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
What is the best way to test 230v/12v downlight Transformer please?
thanks

Sponsored Links
set it to AC measument and take reading on the OUTPUT side of the transformer. Although if you are not sure about doing this perhaps it's best that you get someone in to test as this needs to be done live.

Why do you want to test tthe transformer?

Sponsored Links
Note, some transformers do not work if there is no load on the output side.

If you have a suspect transformer I would

Put a known working lamp on the output side of the tranny.

If that lamp does not work then

check there is power going in to the input side (needs multimeter but this has to be done with the power on)

The other common reason for a tranny to stop working is if someone has put the wrong wattage lamps in.

Why do you want to test tthe transformer?[/quote]

Thanks for your answer, but why do you reckon i might be testing a transformer for? Because normally everyone checks the transformer to ensure whether it is working or not.

check there is power going in to the input side (needs multimeter but this has to be done with the power on)

The other common reason for a tranny to stop working is if someone has put the wrong wattage lamps in.

Many thanks for your respons. I agree with you some will not work without a load on the output side. I wanted to know whether the resistence can be measured to show whether the transformer is working or not. If yes, I would really appereciate if you could help further.
Thank you

Most of the transformers do not have an iron transformer with windings so a resistance measurement will not work.

Mostly they are electronic components that will "transform" 230 volts AC to 12 volts (sort of) AC.

Most of the transformers do not have an iron transformer with windings so a resistance measurement will not work.

Mostly they are electronic components that will "transform" 230 volts AC to 12 volts (sort of) AC.

Thats helpful, many thanks.

Here's the inside of one.

There is a coil on the left hand side (mains input) that you may be able to measure.
The coil on the right hand side is just a choke but inbetween the two (under the metal shield, there is a whole raft of electrical components. You cant (easily) test those.

They are pretty cheap and not worth the bother of repairing.

The best way to test one is to put a known working lamp on the output (via a known working lamp cap).

Electronic transformers will shut down with no load and output a high frequency 12v, not 50hz, this means the majority of digital multimeters are unable to measure the voltage.

Think I said all that before breakfast! ;)

Think I said all that before breakfast! ;)

You didn't mention didly about multimeters not being capable of measuring the output ;)

I didn't bother with that as

Put a known working lamp on the output side of the tranny
should be a belt and braces method.
Often a multimeter on the output side of a working tranny shows no output because
some transformers do not work if there is no load on the output side

I think he's got the full story now, though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back