Test Equipment- What to get??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I'm looking to in getting some test equipment to confirm to the 17th Edition and Part P.... What kit would people recommend and use??

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing as a "17th edition tester" or a "part P tester"

You've got two choices. You can either buy a seperate tester for each thing you need to test, or you can buy a multi function tester (MFT) which combines all the testers in to one unit.

Personally I would buy an MFT as it's everything in one box so to speak.

As for brands, well it's like asking what make of car to buy.

Have an ask round everyone you know what brand they are using and if it would be possible for you to have a look at it and maybe do a couple of tests with it.

It's all about finding one that you like.

I have a metrel installtest, which is fairly basic compared to some, but does everything I need it to.

HI

If you are looking for an easy to use MFT. That is also a quality meter that does all the 17th ed testing you will need for EICs.
If you can get your hands on a Megger MFT1552, you have got a cracking meter.
http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/p4770505.pdf[/QUOTE]

The spark we use has one of these. I remember watching him do the testing, it seems pretty simple and easy to use. It appears that the 1552 has been discontinued but this one looks like it could be the replacement

http://www.pat-services.co.uk/megger-mft1710-multifunction-installation-tester-1785.htm

There's no such thing as a "17th edition tester" or a "part P tester"

You've got two choices. You can either buy a seperate tester for each thing you need to test, or you can buy a multi function tester (MFT) which combines all the testers in to one unit.

Personally I would buy an MFT as it's everything in one box so to speak.

As for brands, well it's like asking what make of car to buy.

Have an ask round everyone you know what brand they are using and if it would be possible for you to have a look at it and maybe do a couple of tests with it.

It's all about finding one that you like.

A MFT seems to be the best option less kit to carry and such.
I will do that and see whos got what and uses what.

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
I considered buying one but I have had bad feedback on the MFT1710.
So sticking with the 1552, is really easy to use.
Have a look on ebay, there is normally one or two up for grabs.
I have used the Metrels, they are not too bad, but give me a 1552 any day.

Oh I forgot to mention, stick with one of the big brands such as megger, fluke, metrel etc.

Don't be tempted by some too good to be true offer on ebay etc.

bought a fluke1652 in july 2008, great meter. In June this year, the rcd function was not producing enough milliamps in the 30ma test. Sent it to Norwich, back in 4 days repaired, free, not bad. I expected all sorts of "miss use" statements. Some may say that it should not have malfunctioned, others would say it judge a company by how it deals with a problem.

Hi

I considered buying one but I have had bad feedback on the MFT1710.
So sticking with the 1552, is really easy to use.
Have a look on ebay, there is normally one or two up for grabs.
I have used the Metrels, they are not too bad, but give me a 1552 any day.

The 1552 does seem to be the thing to buy. Yep theres one on there at the mo the only thing i worried about when buying off ebay was 2 things
1) Calibration
2) Counterfeit items

Oh I forgot to mention, stick with one of the big brands such as megger, fluke, metrel etc.
Don't be tempted by some too good to be true offer on ebay etc.

Yes that was my plan, if any it would have been Megger or Fluke!

Thanks
Jake

I've got both - shame they can't make one with the best of both built in as the Fluke beats the Megger on some things and vice versa on others

I was told by my calibration guy that the Megger reads Ze and PSCC more accurately which is important for me as being city based some of the readings are pretty low/high

SB

the only thing i worried about when buying off ebay was 2 things
1) Calibration
2) Counterfeit items
There is also the inevitable
3) Stolen items
4) Items which never arrive
And not forgetting
5) Proof of you receiving something can easily be an empty recorded delivery envelope.

Wherever you buy one from, if it's not brand new, throw the leads away and get a new set.

Also if you are buying second hand, get it calibrated before you use it.

Hi

The 1552 does seem to be the thing to buy. Yep theres one on there at the mo the only thing i worried about when buying off ebay was 2 things
1) Calibration
2) Counterfeit items

1)Check the sellers feedback, read description carefully, use paypal to purchase.
Don't buy from China, Hong Kong, Korea etc...
I needs be ask seller relevant questions.
3) They need to be calibrated every year, You can send them of the various meter testing places, some collect. Also you can send them to Megger, excellent customer care service.
Or use one of the local electrical wholesalers, they normally do a calibration service. Some have calibration days, where you drop your meter off then collect later that day.

i would avoid ebay like the plague for any kind of tester, earlier on this year we had an incident where i purchased what was advertised as being a legit Fluke 1653b Multi Function Tester, sent it to a local calibration centre after purchase owing to us having a Part P Scheme Assesment a few weeks away, the meter came back as being one of a stolen batch that was stolen directly from fluke, ebay did not want any involvement in the case and didnt really seem bothered that there was someone selling stolen items on there, what else that mystified me was the seller issued a refund but didnt want the meter back.

I was put in contact with someone from fluke, whom arranged for the meter to go back to them, it had a new serial number, new infra red port, new face plate, and calibrated and returned to us within 4 days for the cost of calibration! The seller removed the items from his listings, but we have since noticed that he is selling them again. The stolen batch is easily recognised as it has a Lighter Grey sticker around the functions dial and it also will have an australian plug top lead with it, they are also not fluke leads that come with it.

please do not get stung by this seller. The seller is also selling alot of industrial power tools. Stihl etc. i cant mention names on here but he is on there

I brought one from ebay, but I asked the seller to agree to put a new calibration cert on it in my name as a condition of sale.

I asked him in advance if he were prepared to do this.

I agreed to add £60 to the final sale price to include his cost for doing it.

Method of transaction
The calibration company (Pullmans) picked it up from his place, emailed me the cert. I paid him by Paypal, and pullmans sent the MFT to me by courier.

Pullmans were very obliging and understood and accommodated the process .

I would not have brought one off ebay, if this were not possible.

Very happy with the outcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back