Testing a new induction hob before installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new AEG 4-ring 7kW induction hob delivered, but it can't be installed until our new kitchen is fitted (probably 4-6 weeks away). We currently have a gas hob.
I'd like to check that the new hob is working, so that we can address any issues with it with the retailer before work on the kitchen starts.
I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on how I could check it out? I was thinking maybe connecting some flex with a 13A plug on it, putting it on some thick cardboard (from the box it was delivered in) on the worktop, and turning it onto a low setting for a minute.
Obviously I'd need to steer well away from any contact with the underside of the hob while it's plugged in (!).
Does anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for checking it out?

Sponsored Links
The hob might require clear space underneath it to allow the cooling fan to move air through the hob.

Hence instead of cardboard use something like a couple of lengths of wood to lift the hob off the work surface.

Provided you connect the Earth in the plug then the underside metal of the hob should be Earthed and hence safe if you touch it.

The hob might require clear space underneath it to allow the cooling fan to move air through the hob.

Hence instead of cardboard use something like a couple of lengths of wood to lift the hob off the work surface.

Provided you connect the Earth in the plug then the underside metal of the hob should be Earthed and hence safe if you touch it.
Ah OK thanks for that. What I could do is put it on the gas hob, which should provide enough space underneath for the air to circulate?

Sponsored Links
OK...really dumb question...I'm trying to the open the terminal block on the underside of the hob and I can't work out how it opens - see photo. I've tried pulling up on the triangular tab (top right), but it's not budging and I'm a bit nervous of snapping it off. Has anyone opened one of these before?
https://imgur.com/c8DAUAH
c8DAUAH

It looks as if its the type where you undo a screw (cannot see one), then the panel just slides out from the 6x tabs at the sides, but I might be wrong.

Bloody hell be patient !!! Wait until it's fitted .....any issues then a warranty call.

Gas is better ......take out the extended warranty you'll need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back