Testing a WILO 50 Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm new today and know nothing about plumbing, so go easy! ;)

Anyway, my Thermostat isn't turning on my WILO 50 Pump for central heating which it normally does, so I was told it has probably jammed and to undo the nut on the front of the pump and check inside with a screwdriver to see if it is spinning. But what I wasn't told was that water will come out.
I was just wondering if this is normal, shouldn't I be turning my water off before inspecting the pump?

Thanks for any advice!!

Sponsored Links
You can normally check a pump by putting your hand on it and you'll feel
it running. If it's a very quiet pump you can use a home made stethoscope.

Put one end of a hacksaw blade in your mouth and bite on it.
At the same time put the other end on the pump and press slightely.
Block each of your ears with a finger.
You'll know if the pump is running.
Can be used for many other things.

OK! but this was more than a drip to be honest, it was almost squirting out so I quickly put the screw back in. Will try again!

Sponsored Links
You can normally check a pump by putting your hand on it and you'll feel
it running. If it's a very quiet pump you can use a home made stethoscope.

Haha! that's a great method... :LOL:
I have touched the pump when the stat is ON but there is definately no vibration or any obvious movement.

then you'll have to take the screw out to try spin the pump
or give the pump casing a tap with a hammer.

You'll know if the socket is live.

This is a Great way for testing light bulb sockets if yea think yea bulb is alright.

I use a long screwdriver or a mild steel rod with one end against the thing to be tested and the other in my ear. I learnt this trick from a motor mechanic - it was ideal for identifying shot bearings and slack tappets in car engines. ;)

Hi guys,

Well I've just been using the screwdriver theory in the pump after removing the screw and also having a small jug at hand, water is literally squirting out, but there is definately no movement. One thing I did notice though is that the pump head was still getting warm...

I also tried knocking it with a hammer, no luck!
I think I need to replace it...

Hi guys,

Well I've just been using the screwdriver theory in the pump after removing the screw and also having a small jug at hand, water is literally squirting out, but there is definately no movement. One thing I did notice though is that the pump head was still getting warm...

I also tried knocking it with a hammer, no luck!
I think I need to replace it...

If you had a Clip-On ammeter you'd know if the pump was KAPUT

No-one has yet said that after unscrewing the cap you can see the end of the motor shaft and you then need to use the screwdriver in the slot to positively turn it. If it is jammed through lack of use during the summer this may free it and also the gland may leak less afterwards, might save you the cost of a pump. If the body gets warm the windings are probably OK.

HTH

Chris

No-one has yet said that after unscrewing the cap you can see the end of the motor shaft and you then need to use the screwdriver in the slot to positively turn it. If it is jammed through lack of use during the summer this may free it and also the gland may leak less afterwards, might save you the cost of a pump. If the body gets warm the windings are probably OK.

HTH

Chris

Thanks Chris! So if the pump still gets warm when I switch the Thermostat on, does that mean that the Pump is just probably jammed with sludge or something like that?

Wilo pumps aren't as tolerant to filth in the system as Grundfos pumps are and will likely fail if the water isn't kept clean.

For the effort of putting in a new pump, and the relatively small cost, I'd personally replace with a grundfos and know that I had a good pump installed.

Have a look on eBay for one if you want to save a few quid. I presume you have valves either side of the pump!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back