testing and inspection course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I been working on site with an approve electrician for a while. I been doing all the work. re-wiring fixing socket , switch, consumer unit. Basically everything. He only come and checks my work to see everything to the regulation. 95 % of my work is up to the regulation. Only occasionally he is getting high or low reading. So he tells me what to do. So now I would like to start a testing and inspection course but would like a bit of prior knowledge. I would like to know is easy or very difficult. I heard from people that you have to be very good at maths to pass this course. Other wise you fail it. I know a basic maths. I don’t want to spend like £6500 on the course and end up fail it. And also could you let me know a good and reasonable testing and inspection course in the west London aria. I will be much appreciate your help.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
It's the hardest level 3 course there is, what electrical qualification do you have? As some won't allow you on, unless you have progressed to that level.

Are you talking about the C&G 2391?
If so it is aimed at people who are already inspecting and testing (and certifying), not really for a starting block.
I don't follow why you are getting someone else to do the I&T - there is nothing stopping you doing that yourself.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I probably ask the wrong question. I meant to ask how to find the right course and which qualification i should have, to do the domestic electrical testing . I don’t want to go through the long rout of NVQ. Because i am experience. already know all the practical part of the electrical work. i do all the complete re-wiring .replacing consumer unit, basically i do every electrical job within the domestic property. With the supervision of the qualify electrician. I mean i do not have any qualification in electric. If you can direct me to the right course. And which level of course i should go for it.or the name of college.
Thank you

The NVQ method (C&G 2330 I think) is the best route. This course can be undertaken part time but does take a while to complete.

If you are only doing domestic work then you could complete the EAL domestic installers course, along with C&G 2382 17th Edition and C&G 2391 inspection & testing. The EAL course is the one often referred to as the "5 days wonder course" as it can be completed with no electrical experience whatsover. Although as you already have experience then at least you wouldn't start working for yourself blind...

Have a look at your local college.

You might be better, cheaper seeing your local FE college, careers counsellor about an electrical improvership. Might be more lucrative in the long run too.

What you need to do is find a course provider/providers and ask them what are the qualification need to take a 2391 course. Some have strick progression rules others are happy to take your money, but the less academic qualification you have, the harder it will be to pass.
Is there a reason why you need this qualification?

The NVQ method (C&G 2330 I think) is the best route. This course can be undertaken part time but does take a while to complete.

If you are only doing domestic work then you could complete the EAL domestic installers course, along with C&G 2382 17th Edition and C&G 2391 inspection & testing. The EAL course is the one often referred to as the "5 days wonder course" as it can be completed with no electrical experience whatsover. Although as you already have experience then at least you wouldn't start working for yourself blind...

Have a look at your local college.

I'd say, if you are already doing the work then you could forget the EAL course and do the 2382-10 (or 2382-20 if you are able to do the 17th update) and 2391

While the EAL is a Part P qualification, you still have to join a scheme to be able to self notify... 2382 and 2391 are more than enough to join most self notification schemes

Hi
I probably ask the wrong question. I meant to ask how to find the right course and which qualification i should have, to do the domestic electrical testing . I don’t want to go through the long rout of NVQ. Because i am experience.
If 5% of your work is not up to regulation and is up to someone else to tell you that it isn't then you are not experienced enough to go it alone.

It's hard to judge what you need from your original post. When you say you've been doing basically everything, do you mean you have been designing, or just doing the donkey work?

Have you been first fixing and the Approved Electrician coming in to I&T, 2nd fix and commission? If so, you need some background theory. Without this, the 2391 will be almost impossible to pass.

As Nozspark said, you can work in the DI sector with 2382 and 2391.
Only you can decide if you have the background knowledge to work on your own. The problem with 95% of your work being okay, is that the 5% may include a fault which kills somebody. At present the AE tells you when you've gone wrong. The better way to learn this on a course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back