Electricial basic course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son run his own IT and CCTV business for quite a while now, the problem he's having is the location of the socket, he want to go on a electrician course to learn the basic skills and I don't know if they do just a basic electrical skills course to qualify just for putting in an extra socket spurring off the ring main and inspecting the C/Unit for checking the correct fuse rating or putting in a radial socket etc. Is there a basic course for this qualification?

Sponsored Links
there will be 2 and three day courses, try ringing local training providers.
The installation of spurs and extending circuits is not too difficult onces you have grasps of the principals.
Try this link www.theiet.org/careers/courses/electrical/ -
but the thing is electrical installation, inspection and testing is not really something that I'd claim to be basic.
There are all sorts of course out there, claiming they can teach you how to be an electrician in 5 days and there is 40k to be earned. It's bullpoo!
It takes time and dedication and we are all still learning everyday.
So tell your son to be careful which course he does decide to take and have assurances that it will reach the goals he hopes to achieve.
He will find the learning process, is very much based on progression.

The problem is that all of the "5-day" type courses assume that you know the basics, and are doing minor work as part of being a kitchen fitter/plumber/whatever, and want to formalise your skills so that you can get onto the registration ladder.

By the sounds of it your son would probably be better off looking at info on the web, e.g.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080213151445/http://www.kevinboone.com/electricity.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20080213151445/http://www.kevinboone.com/domesticinstallations.html

and getting a couple of decent DIY manuals, that way if he finds out that he does already know all that basic stuff he'll only have wasted £10's, not £100's and days of his time....

There are plenty of courses which will teach you just the basics you'll need for general household elecrical maintenance plus what you can & can't do in the home regarding current legislation, the problem is that they don't come cheap for what you gain from them.

Here's a weekend one for instance:
http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/weekend-electrical-course

A lot of colleges also offer basic electrical courses as further education although you'll have missed the intake on these until at least early January.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads, he knows how to extend the ring main or spur of a socket but am'I right saying he's not qualify to do this in clients property? So basically if he's competent to carry out the electrical minor work and follow the Building Regulations Part P requirements, will it still need the completion certificate to the clients, if so, who sign it off? I've noticed the Competent Person Self Certification Scheme, is this worth looking into? He want to do everything above board and within the law

Edit,
ps:Didn't see your post JohnnyG, maybe it's easier the household get the electrician in, having says that, it's not always straight forward to do this

Your son, can now legally do minor work, but this will not include work in special locations, bath/shower rooms, kitchens and outside installations.

To become a competent person and register with a scheme provider is a different ball game.
As you will then need to gain higher qualifications up to level 3 standard, the qualification needed would be
2330 C&G level 2 and 3 (installation work, based on buildings and structures),
2382 (BS7671:2008 17th edition)
and possible but some scheme provider don't ask for it and some give you a period time to gain it 2391/2 (inspection and testing)
after gaining the above qualifications, your son will able to join a scheme provider, they may ask him to do some notifiable work under building controls to prove he is at the required standard before he can enrol.
So a basic course is not what your son requires, if he intends to do work in special locations and install new circuits.

You don't require a 2330 to join a CPS (the main 2 at least), just an EAL VRQ (Part P) although you must gain a 2382 within 12 months if you haven't got it at the time of applying.
There are other requirements of course but as far as qualifications go that's it, some may ask for a 2392 mind, all should really.

The answer to the first part is "I'll see if I can dig out my notes and post a synopsis".

The answer to the second part is "nothing".

but what does a EAL course give you and what does it offer as far as progression to higher qualification?

The answer to the first part is the basic qualification required to join a scheme.

The answer to the second part is "I don't know as I haven't done one"

I wasn't claiming it is in any way better or as good as a 2330, far from it, I was just pointing out that you don't need a 2330 to register :)

The answer to the first part is "I'll see if I can dig out my notes and post a synopsis".

cheers bas, look forward to that.

I wasn't claiming it is in any way better or as good as a 2330, far from it, I was just pointing out that you don't need a 2330 to register :)

I have no doubt and except that Johnny, I am interested in what the course offers and where it places a person onces they have completed the course, regarding the level of knowledge you attain on it and the route of progression.

The Part P VRQ (should you attain it) claims to give you the right knowledge as regards current safety and legal standards for domestic work only.
As for the practical side, this seems to be what most course providers offer more or less:

Pre work survey/inspection

Safe isolation procedures

Identification of unsafe electrical situations

Earthing and bonding requirements

Electrical test procedures

Cable and component selection

Installation and replacement of electrical components

Checking the correct and safe operation of installed electrical components

Recording of electrical test results and completion of certification

Installing and/or rerouting cables

Special Locations

New circuit requirements

Installing Domestic Lighting Circuits

Maintaining Domestic Electrical Installations

Basic Understanding of 3 Phase Supplies

The more reputable course providers won't let you enrol unless you have a decent amount of knowledge regarding basic household electrics and how to install fittings etc safely.
Simply passing the VRQ would never give anyone all the knowledge & ability to do everything relating to domestic electrics, that's not possible, but I don't doubt that some will think they can.

As for progression, if someone wants to stay doing domestic only there isn't many other qualifications needed from what I can work out (assuming the trainee has 2382, 2392/1 already), it's experience they need.
If they intend to go on site or industrial/commercial it's a different ball game, although a 2391 is well respected it seems :)

Thank You Johnny for that,
That seems to be quite a lot to get through in a couple of days, but if they do insist on prior knowledge of electrical installation, it looks like you cover most of the required units that you would find within 2330.
Do you know if fault finding, is covered within any of the units? ie would it be covered within Maitaining DEIs or another unit say I&T?

Some courses I've seen specifically list what they cover under the included I&T headline and fault finding is amongst that, you'd hope that all courses cover it.

General I&T content:

Fault finding
Bonding
Continuity of CPC’s
Ring Circuit
Continuity of conductors (R1 + R2)
Insulation Resistance
Polarity
Prospective Fault Current
Earth Fault Loop Impedance (ZS & ZE)
RCD Testing

As for the pre-requisites I mentioned earlier, some will insist you have this sort of level of ability/knowledge before you can enrol:

Ring main circuits (sockets)
Basic lighting circuits
2 way lighting circuits
2 way lighting and intermediate circuits
Radial power circuits (cooker points etc)
Earthing and bonding procedures
Zoning and testing procedures
Calculating cable sizes and load demands
Introduction to electrical regulations
Health & safety
Safe Isolation procedures
Three Phase Systems
Testing and inspection disciplines
Electrical calculus

Others only insist on:

"Experience of installing a 13A ring circuit, 3 plate ceiling rose lighting circuit, 2 way lighting, intermediate switching, spur, outside light, earth bonding and wiring a consumer unit."

So you can see that there are 2 ways of attaining the qualification, the long way which'll give you a better foundation or the short way which'll just get you the qualification. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back