Testing hard drive before transfer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My desk top died. Opening and looking at it two capacitors on mother board show signs of blowing and there is a burn smell from power supply although not very strong.

The LED on the PS2 mouse was the only thing that still worked and the computer draws around 4W when switched on.

So guessing not worth repair but would like to regain stuff from hard drive. Now I have got another desk top which is still running but what I don't want to do is damage it by fitting a damaged hard drive.

There is also memory in the dead computer which I can no longer buy which would also be nice if I could transfer it to the other PC.

But I am nervous about swapping anything over when the original PC has died in case in dieing it has damaged the hard drives or memory in a way which could damage the other desk top.

Any advise on testing or likely hood of items being damaged or what if damaged what it would do if fitted to other desk top.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Well I suppose make my mind up time. The unit to use the hard drive out side the PC makes a lot of sense. It would mean I can read both drives and transfer files to the 2TB drive. Could also open the other desk top and temporary fit both drives and do the same. There are other hard drives in the house and to be able to read them as well would be handy.

In no real hurry but likely I will just fit the largest of the two drives into the other desk top.

Back