Testing pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing a small radiator with a towel radiator. You can see before and after in the attached images.

It's my first time using copper with solder ring elbows so before I refit plasterboard, plaster and tile, I want to test my pipework for leaks. My question is, how can I got about doing this? Could I simply connect the flow to the return here with pushfit elbows and pipe, then repressurise the system or will this cause an problem? I don't want to be connecting the new towel rail up just yet or testing with air.

IMG_1337.jpegIMG_1388.jpeg

Sponsored Links
With demountable pushfit fittings general rule of thumb would be a low pressure test (.5 - 1.0 bar) followed by a further test around 1.5 x working pressure for about an hour.

Older style pushfit fittings (“O” ring first / grab ring second) require an increased pressure test of 18 bar.

This is of course assuming that you have access to a pressure test pump, you may well be able to hire one from a tool hire shop, don’t be tempted to use a compressor to perform an air test.

Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to connect the two copper pipes (flow & return) temporarily with push fit and a short length of pipe, repressurise/refill the system and test in this way without air?

Sponsored Links
1. You don't need to connect the two pipes (flow and return). Provided:
It is not a one pipe system (unlikely) AND
There is at least one other radiator on the same circuit with both valves at least partially open
Then there will be water in both flow and return legs already.
2. Just pressurise the system as normal and check for leaks.
3. While in theory it should be tested to 1.5 time original pressure (say 2.25 bar) with more for pushfit fittings, its a very limited section of pipewor. I'd take the risk of 1. above, perhaps putting the pressure up to 2 bar then reducing it again when finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back