Testing wiring on number plate light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Th number plate light isn't working so testwd the bulb which works.
Cleaned crud off fitting but still no joy.
Tried testing power from car by setting the multimeter to 20v direct current and got a steadyish 0.99 volts.

There is another connection under the light fitting but it means possibky removing the bumper to inspect it.
If the connector is rusty, and needs replacing can i get them off internet or is it better off going to an electrician as i don't want to get stopped/fined

Sponsored Links
As you've found, one of the bulb terminals should supply you with 12v DC. Now set the multimeter to resistance and test between the other bulb terminal and the car bodyshell (earth).
You should get no or very slight resistance if all is well.
If its a festoon type bulb, the holders are notorious for not withstanding the weather!
John :)

As you've found, one of the bulb terminals should supply you with 12v DC. Now set the multimeter to resistance and test between the other bulb terminal and the car bodyshell (earth).
You should get no or very slight resistance if all is well.
If its a festoon type bulb, the holders are notorious for not withstanding the weather!
John :)
Thanks john, did like you said. The plug going into holder looked fine until i cut it open. Inside was rusted to bits.
Ended up replacing the wiring from inside the boot. The gromit fitted by nissan was a bad fit too. Luckily i had silicone to fill in.
Repairs are getting more frequent with it getting on a bit. Changed drop links othe week
Thanks again john.

Sponsored Links
Back