Testing Zs of a circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Testing Zs of a circuit would be-

Going to the last/furthest point of a circuit and with a two probe tester testing between P and E

Correct????

(This is for an exam)

Sponsored Links
LearnerSPARK said:
Testing Zs of a circuit would be-

Going to the last/furthest point of a circuit and with a two probe tester testing between P and E

You need to test at every point.

The value you record is the highest, which may not be at the furthest point - this is often the case with two-way switching arrangements.

Sponsored Links
and no, it's a 3 lead tester..

live, neutral and earth..

or at least mine is.. has a handy plug for sockets too..

son of a bitch, it's only 2 lead in the guidance note 3.. might have messed that question up then... but mine DOES have 3..

Depends what machine you use. My Megger has 2, and my Fluke has 3 (and won't work on 2)

My metrel tester has 3 leads, but you can piggy back the N&E leads for two probe testing ;)

sparkyspike said:
Depends what machine you use. My Megger has 2, and my Fluke has 3 (and won't work on 2)

It will work on two! Either parallel the blue and green, just use the red and blue and press the F1 button to perform the test from live to neutral. You must do this to get the highest PSC - L to E or L to N or P to P

I don't follow, my loop tester will display PEFC and PSSC values depending on how it is set??

ColJack said:
an earth loop tester will not give you PSC...

Semantics!

You do have to do a phase/neutral loop impedance test to get PSCC, but it's all done with the same kit!.

it will give you loop values which you can then use to CALCULATE the PSC, but a dedicated PSC tester ( or multi function tester with it on ) will give you the KA reading.

since my meter is a 3 lead, how do i connect it to do a phase neutral loop?
just hook the black and green leads both to neutral..

Yes, as stated above - put the E and N to N.

Most digital (if not all) earth loop meters will also give a PFC reading.

If you think about it, on a PME supply you put the leads to Phase Neutral and Earth, as it's PME you're actually putting the N and E leads to the same point, ie the Neutral, so the Ze and the PSC become the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back