Texecom ComWiFi module issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep having issues with the ComWiFi module, where it keeps dropping off the network.

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas what it might be??

Sponsored Links
How far is it from your WiFi router?
Do other devices get a good signal in that location?

Sponsored Links
For those of you with the com wifi, I have been doing some tests, these tests have been using Montex and Texbase only not the Texecom server and still allowed access using the app or Wintex.

It has been a week without any failures being reported, and by early November it will be two week so I am almost convinced that the issue with the comwifi my end has been resolved.

If the comwifi has been set as recommended in the manual, I was still getting failures, however changing the settings didn't appear to have any long term effect.

So with everything set as recommended and the comwifi network forgotten, ie the pc can not log into the comwifi network automatically or even manually without putting in the password yourself, it appears to have stopped the failures completely over the last week.

Why forgetting the comwifi network has made this difference I do not know, if anyone has any ideas on why I would like to know.

In early November if I still haven't had the failures I will be connecting back to the Texecom server as I believe I have my end resolved, I suspect it will perform similarly to the comip module at that point.

Well my com IP is still hit and miss .... Still think it's an issue with the Texecom server

I think there may be more than one issue at play.

I had issues on Comwifi and com-ip, the com-ip less so than the com wifi by some magnitude.

So went back to testing on something I have complete control over only using the comwifi on my own Montex/Texbase, Initiall had failures very regular even on my own system, but it took the Texecom server out of the question at least whixh meant I had a problem my end.

I have had no failures on the comwifi on my system for over a week now, which is better than within 24/48 hrs best previous performance on my own system.

I will be going back on the Texecom server in around a week if still no failures with the com wifi unit I have turned on my com-ip unit on another panel and that is on the Texecom server only at present, plus I have a few other systems on test (some on comip others on comwifi) that are on both Texecom and my own today so I can see what is going on leading up to switching my test panel over on its own.

when you say hit and miss, what do you mean, app. wintex, coms fail?

Ats path faults and missed polling faults , connecting from app starts to download events then bumps you off !

Whats your internet connection like on your phone/ tablet and what device are you using, my android device appears to be fine for downloading the entire log no kick offs on a wifi connection?

The problem you have to accept is that WiFi connections are not totally reliable, particularly in urban areas where there is so much interference between neighbouring WiFi systems.
It's quite instructive to download one of the WiFi scanning apps to a smartphone and walk it around the house. You'll see just how much interference is about.

Hi Sally,

been doing lots of tests and monitoring things with cameras, as I cant watch till it fails and that was hard work setting up to yield nothing conclusive, I am happy/ relatively happy I am actually got my com wifi issues resolved but have to decide on what happens next come November.

Unfortunately WiFi can never be as stable as an ethernet connection. You can find a clear channel and it all works fine. And a week or a month or a year later a neighbour gets a new router fitted, or changes their channel for some reason, and bang goes your link.

Completely agree that there are issues around wifi full stop as you outline, I am saying that all things being equal I appear to have changed one thing that has resulted in a significant difference in performance on my test system.

WRT to wifi, given the systems I can see and my location it may change if someone changes the channel or gets a new router, but the channel is unlikely given the data obtained since setting up the wifi back end of May beginning of June this year. So I have been looking at this for some time, this being the first time I have had significant long term improvement from a single change. Clearly that doesn't mean it will be permanently okay, but it is seriously an improvement on where I was with it. How permanent is yet to be seen but I remain relatively confident.

btw Mark is on a comip not comwifi

I had a lot of problems with the comwifi. I was able to connect to it via it's own direct wifi. But was not able to connect via the home wifi. I suspected the router at first. But it was of course teh ARP cache. It had the MAC address of the 10.x.x.x interface in the cache. I manually edited the ARP cache on my laptop and now it connects over correct home wifi.
For thos who don't know how to do this:
Open a command prompt on your PC
Type arp -a

This will produce a list of IP addresses against MAC addresses.
Have a look and see if the MAC address listed against the IP address of your COMwifi matches the MAC address of the correct IP address.
It probably doesn't.

To manually edit it. use the command:
arp -s IPADDRESS MACADDRESS
Where you substitute the IPADDRESS and MACADDRESS for the ones you require.

Then try connecting again (whilst connected to your local WiFi). Don't reconnect to the COMwifi in built wifi or you will be back to square one.

Hope this helps somebody else.

It is also a good idea to flush the arp cache on your router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back