Texecom Odyssey X tamper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old external bell box with a Texecom Odyssey X-BE and I was wondering if anyone could clarify the method of tamper adjustment when mounting this unit.

As far as I can tell the X-BE has a single microswitch that is operated on the switch body by the head of a self-tapper for the internal lid tamper and on the switch lever by a break-out on the backplate for the removal-from-wall tamper.

However, the installation manual I have (Texecom INS627-5) is not entirely clear (to me, anyway) about what needs to be adjusted.

Section 1.12 states: "An additional screw may be required to adjust the wall tamper by fitting through the screw hole next to the dual tamper microswitch. In doing so, care must be taken to leave the screw head slightly proud to ensure that the microswitch remains level and closes correctly when the inner cover is fitted."

The only screw hole I can see in this area is already occupied by a self-tapper so there is no 'may' about it as the additional screw is already fitted.

Later on in Section 1.14 it says: "The removal from mounting tamper screw must be used on all surfaces; on uneven surfaces it will prevent the keyhole screw from damaging the tamper breakout. The screw should be driven in until it makes contact with the wall."

Am I correct in thinking that these two sections are referring to the same thing and that all that is necessary is to follow the instructions in 1.14?

Later in the installation manual there is a section (1.15) about the internal lid tamper. This states that the adjustment screw should be left alone unless the mounting surface is very uneven.

I'm probably over-analysing this but I think that all I need to do is to hang the unit on the wall using a mounting screw loose-ish in the keyhole and then screw in the self-tapper in the break-out until it bottoms-out on the wall surface. Then tighten up the keyhole screw and fit the other two mounting screws. Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell the X-BE has a single microswitch that is operated on the switch body by the head of a self-tapper for the internal lid tamper and on the switch lever by a break-out on the backplate for the removal-from-wall tamper.

screw to the wall and adjust the self tapper

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean the self tapper on the breakout or the one on the internal lid?

if you look on page 9 of the manual, there are two screws.

The "removal from mounting tamper" should be adjusted until it touches the wall.

" The screw located on the inside of the internal hinged lid should be adjusted so that the tamper switch closes correctly when the lid is screwed into place"

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks, that all makes sense. The bit that has been confusing me is at the top of the previous page (8) - the bit that starts "An additional screw may be required...". I wasn't sure whether that was simply referring to the removal-from-tamper or to something else. Anyway, as I said in my original post, I have a tendency to overthink things...

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back