Texecom Premier Elite 48 12v output - voltage drop every 30 seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just upgraded my trusty Premier 48 to a Premier Elite 48. However, I have immediately noticed the new panel suffers from a voltage drop on all 12v outputs inc the aux 12v supply to the PIRs, the 12v supply to the keypad and the 12v supply to the SAB. Reading at each of these terminals is 13.55v but every 30 seconds there is a voltage drop of approximately 1v to 1.30v which lasts 1 second then goes back to 13.55v. I can physically see the lights on the keypad dim every 30 seconds when the voltage drops, which never used to be the case on my old Premier 48. Wiring remains unchanged, this just a straight panel swap. My concerns is the voltage drop will cause false alarms as I would expect the 12v output to remain steady across the control panel.

Question: can anyone else with a Premier Elite series confirm they don't have such voltage drops? I suspect the power supply on my control panel is faulty but want to check if anyone else has experienced similar issues. When I put my ear next to the power supply in the control panel, I can hear a very very faint humming sound which cycles every 30 seconds when the voltage drop occurs. Strange how it's exactly every 30 seconds. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Brand new Yuasa 7ah battery was fitted at the same time as the panel swap. Will try another battery and report back.

Put old Yuasa 7ah battery back in and the voltage drop is now between 0.5v and 1v. An improvement but still not perfect. Does this sound like a faulty panel? Need to decide whether to rip out the new panel to get it replaced as only purchased last week - just want to make sure it's defo the panel before I start removing it all again. If there's any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it’s new then contact supplier for replacement, if you had a battery tester you can test the battery But unlikely unless your an installer to have a suitable tester.

is your PSU white or black? If black what is the version number last black unit was -10 I believe and white ones last checked were -11.

nothing else has been added to system?

Thanks for that - nothing else on the existing system has been added other than swapping the control panel. Intention is to add a Smartcom but yet to fit that as I want the panel working reliably first.

Just finished running a series of diagnostic tests on my old Premier 48 (non-Elite). Wired to mains, tried old and new Yuasa batteries, and no battery just mains, absolutely rock solid in all scenarios. Steady 13.66v output at keypad, aux and SAB terminals regardless of which battery (and even with no battery). No voltage drops at all.

Almost certain the power supply on my new Elite 48 is faulty so will rip out the panel and get it exchanged for a new unit. Hopefully a one off and not a whole batch of these out there but lesson learnt - run basic diagnostic checks on your work bench before fitting. I'll certainly be doing that on the new unit!

My Elite 48 has a black PSU (pic attached).

Attachments

• tempImagengyXXo.png
    tempImagengyXXo.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 66
There is another label under that notch in the bottom left hand corner of the power supply which gives you the version number
1673723598818.png

On the one shown above the version number is -10 (as in HAC1000-10). Which version is yours?

Ah thanks I didn't see that label. Mine says HAD2000-10 and date is 01-Mar-2022 if that helps anyone else out there. Will report back when I get my new replacement Elite 48 to see how that one behaves. It's a shame really as everything else apart from the 12v output is working perfectly!

Attachments

• tempImageF874Sh.png
    tempImageF874Sh.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 47
Ah thanks I didn't see that label. Mine says HAD2000-10 and date is 01-Mar-2022 if that helps anyone else out there. Will report back when I get my new replacement Elite 48 to see how that one behaves. It's a shame really as everything else apart from the 12v output is working perfectly!
The -10 version is a recent version, they are usually reliable but it is always possible to get the odd manufacturing fault. Let us know how you get on with the replacement.

It is a pollyfuse on the Elite 48,
Polyfuses are not the best type of fuse to use in series with a battery.

If the new battery is not fully charged when it is connected to the panel then if the charging current is higher than the normal trickle charge current then the polyfuse may "trip". It will remain tripped ( high resistance ) until the current through it is reduced to near zero, Disconnecting the battery will achieve a "reset" of the polyfuse, but re-connecting the battery will "trip" the fuse again.

Solution is to fully charge the battery using another charger before connecting the battery to the panel,

Thanks guys - F2 and F6 both remain cool to the touch when mains is on and battery is connected.

I've now decommissioned the Elite 48 and got it on my work bench for testing before I get it exchanged for a new unit. Below is a Youtube video showing the fault (first drop is 5 seconds into the video then repeats every 30 seconds after that). In this test I've got a barebone control panel, 1 keypad, mains power connected via flex into plugged into wall and the new Yuasa 7ah battery. No other devices connected, no bell, no PIRs etc.

You can see a voltage drop of approx 1v is still there even on a barebone panel. What's interesting is the battery current increases at the same time as the voltage drop so I wonder if it's related to that. It's also bizzare how it happens every 30 seconds like clockwork.

Last edited:
The panel performs a battery presence check every 30 seconds. The behaviour that you are seeing is exactly the same as you would get when running the panel without a battery. Are you absolutely certain that the battery is good and is fully charged?

Ah interesting, that would explain the 30 seconds. Battery was purchased brand new at the same time as the panel but no idea how long it may have been on a shelf. They’ve agreed to replace panel but will ask for another battery too.

Any recommendations on a good battery tester?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back