Texecom Premier Elite - battery lifetime and replacement interval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just coming around to the third anniversary of installing the Texecom alarm and am pondering battery replacement. The old Honeywell system was pretty dumb when it came to batteries, but I see that the Texecom should perform regular backup battery checks to ensure they're not dead.

What is recommended best practice here? Proactively change them after a certain period, or just wait until the alarm moans about it and change them then? The current batteries are 7Ah Yuasa - one in the main panel, one in the extender.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It’s a strange one as batteries are recommended to be changed at 60% of capacity.

But that capacity if installed to a standard needs to be capable of meeting that standard so could be higher than 60% but not meet the requirements of a grade (doesn’t apply to most domestics as they aren’t officially graded)

batteries typically last around 5 years and Yuasa is considered a decent brand.

Yucel is a Yuasa brand but not considered as good.

If your battery is seriously stressed then expect less than 5 years. Ie airing cupboard or loft space that gets very hot or you have serious number of power cuts a year.

If you have a tester then you can see how the battery is performing and test it to see where it’s at.

Routine replace every 5 years if not testing it should be fine, if the panel finds issue with the battery before that time it will display there is an issue.

We test the batteries at a service and replace if necessary.

It be cheaper to replace your battery every 3 to 5 years than have a tester and have it calibrated to test the odd battery every year.

see young batteries and very old batteries performing better and worse than you would expect. Hence why testing gives a better idea of the condition at the time.

The alarm system test for the battery is not the same as the capacity test I refer to.

Thanks guys. Sounds like 5 years on a decent battery is comfortable so I shall do what almost every single homeowner in the country does - I shall continue to neglect the problem ;)

Sponsored Links
Jesus Wayne you’re starting to sound like Eric from the electrics section ….lol

Dont hang out there, trying to work out how great Eric is now so i can be offended or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back