Thames Water say I have to install a gully divider

ETO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have received a letter from Thames Water, telling me that I need to install a gully divider at a property that I rent out.

This is the first thing I have heard about it, so I am still trying to get some further info and photos.

The property is a semi detached house and the location of the manhole is at the rear of a shared driveway.

I just wondered if anybody could please give me some general advice on what the scale/cost of work is likely to be and if there are any specific things that I need to ask or look out for when getting quotes for this type of work, or when dealing with Thames Water.

I've attached the report below. It says "non-household", although it is an occupied semi-detached house. Not sure if this is because it is rented.

Sponsored Links
Looks like Thames have found waste water entering a watercourse via a Storm Drain, and have traced it back to find the source. Going on the report, it seems the gully taking waste pipes from the kitchen sink etc is blocked, and so the discharge is overflowing into an adjacent Rainwater drain.

This is not acceptable, you need to get the affected gully unblocked and ensure the waste water goes to the Foul Sewer as intended. Technically you are currently causing a pollution by allowing waste water to enter the surface water drainage system, and are open to being prosecuted if the issue is not rectified.

Pic would be handy. First job is unblock the foul waste- bit of luck you can rod it out.
Second job is build up the surround of the surface water gulley such that if the foul backs up and overflows it goes on the ground and makes a mess that is immediately obvious.
If that wld cause a problem with surface water drainage then look at replacing the foul gulley with a stack pipe.
All DIYable, some digging required.

• Thanks
Reactions: ETO
Thanks for the responses so far.

I have attached below a photo of the site, which is all that I have at the moment.

It is the property on the left of the photo.

If I understand correctly:

- the gulley is the open section that the three pipes drain into
- the problem is that, beneath the surface that drains into section directly adjacent to the section that the gutter downpipe drain into, and there is no barrier (or an insufficient one) between those sections
- something is required to separate those two sections underground (has been suggested to me to cement a brick in between)
- it could also be resolved by installing a 50mm pipe taking the wastes under the ground and into the foul water manhole.

Any further thoughts would be much appreciated.

drainphoto.png

Sponsored Links
I have just had a quote for this, and the guy suggested.

"install a new gully surround around the rainwater gully making it sure its higher than the foul water so if the foul gets blocked again it won't flow into the rainwater"

which seems to be what @oldbutnotdead suggested.

Does that seem OK?

I have just had a quote for this, and the guy suggested.

"install a new gully surround around the rainwater gully making it sure its higher than the foul water so if the foul gets blocked again it won't flow into the rainwater"

which seems to be what @oldbutnotdead suggested.

Does that seem OK?

If this is the only point where the waste discharges can get into the surface water drainage system then yes, quite a simple solution. However, my only concern then would be the gully would then overflow across the driveway, and could possibly enter the rainwater gully opposite. In all honesty, if the system is working as it should be there shouldn't be any overflow from the gully in the first place.

May be worth getting the waste pipes extended slightly to discharge below the grid, but then that still leaves the issue of the down pipe, if the grid is, as I suspect, getting clogged up with food scraps, hair and other debris from the kitchen/bathroom.

Imo, go on Thames water website and look for recommended contractors, send them the form TW gave you and pictures of the drain system.

I would also suggest that whatever solution you propose that you confirm with TW that they agree with the proposed solution.

Although it all seems very simple to me.

Unfortunately, many people rather ignore drainage issues when they get outside. But TW are at the receiving end of so many complaints about contamination of water ways and lakes.

Very similar indeed to my own house, also in the Thames Water area (London N14). Pic shows back of drive after I had it repaved in 2019 after buying; I can't remember whether it had raised barriers around the two rainwater gullies before but as you can see it certainly does now.

More to the point..my house is also the left hand one. The house on the right is occupied by tenants of an absentee landlord. They are lovely people but can't quite get their heads around 100-year-old UK drains and their kitchen gully often blocks. Usually I just clear it for them from above but last time I had to lift the nearest manhole and reverse-jet the drain with a pressure washer; easy enough and surely the best remedy (note: none of the gullies feeds into the drain under the further manhole - that seems to be an old connection to the garages, which now have a rainwater soakaway). Sometimes the gully overflows onto the drive but the barrier stops it polluting the rainwater gully.

However: TW are responsible for shared drains from the point at which they become shared, even on private property. Their report is not available to me for some reason but could that apply in your case? I note that the manhole configuration differs and I suppose if the drain(s) under the left hand manhole serve your property only, TW will say it's up to you.
2022 03 16 Back of drive.jpg

Thanks to everyone.

I found the contractor that I am going to use via the TW/WaterSafe website, and he says that he spoke with TW to run the proposed work past them, and also said that he will be able to self approve the work, as he is TW approved.

The original image seems to have expired, so I added it again below.

gully-redacted.png

So you have found someone to clean the gully? I suggest you carry out more 'maintenance' work on and around your property.

Andy

This is the work that was carried out to resolve the issue. Just waiting to hear back from TW. The contractor is TW approved, so I am hopeful that all will be fine.

Any thoughts or observations would be appreciated.

20220319-145715s.jpg

20220319-145718s.jpg

20220319-145723s.jpg

Should more than suffice, doesn't look like the DPC has been breached. No way the waste gully can now overflow into the rainwater gully now, but to be fair, if the gully was clear, it shouldn't have overflowed in the first place!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back