Thanks counts

Vinn

Do you not think that a newcomer to the forum may consider that a plumber with lots of Thanks will have earned those Thanks by giving help and advice to people.

That is why the thanks count system was added to the forum.

The reality appears to be that some of the least helpful ( and abusive ) people are getting Thanks ( for nothing ) from fellow unhelpful people in the Combustion Chamber..

Sponsored Links
Newcomers are unlikely to decide to try and do analytical work on thanks details, to see if there's a lot of mutual-thanking between fellow travellers.

Maybe both the counters - messages as well as thanks - ought to be forum-specific. The problem is not just the dubious worth of post and thanks statistics from GD and CC - even when the figures are all perfectly legitimate in their own right, a track record in, say, Floors, Stairs and Lofts is not an indicator of expertise in Audio Visual.

If that could be done then any circle-jerking in one particular forum would simply not be a problem in all the others.

Sponsored Links
That's not an easy thing to determine, given the difficulty of obtaining for analysis the raw data.

But I do think that 'localising' post and thanks counts per forum would help to lessen any bleed of perceived peer rating from one forum to another.

TBH, I fail to see why anyone who thinks that there is a value in having a thanks count displayed would not think that filtering on the relevance of thanks would be in keeping with the underlying ethos of showing #thanks in the first place.

Thanks count on this site,well i think not so as some ask for thanks when they post a reply,

Quote,
Did we help? If so then please use the THANKS button. It's the best way to show your appreciation for the help received and it marks useful posts for others who may stumble across this site during an internet search. Best of all it's free to use and you might find others marking your posts the same way which is great kudos.

Lucid, Today at 9:38 PM

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-in-law-driving-me-nuts.483105/#ixzz4iEBOlXPW

And how do you determine what was useful and what was back slapping then BAS and Berny?

The answer to that question is only the person giving the thanks knows for certain why they gave the Thanks. Individual Thanks carry no information about the reason the Thanks was given. Hence new comers may consider a person with lots of Thanks to be a good source of advice when the rality might be they are getting back slaps for something not connected with advice to DIYers.

Some insight can be obtained from the rate at which the Thanks Counts of some posters increases even though there is no posts from them in the public forums. Couple with the number of non public posts they make it does appear that they are receiving ( on average ) several Thanks per post in the non public area.

This is a DIY forum / site. Therefore the non DIY ( ie Gas related ) advice passed between the "professionals" should not be eligable for Thanks when that count can be read by DIYers and mistaken as Thanks for advice given to DIYers.

Edited... Actually..... I can't be arsed. You're such boring old farts it unreal..... You both seem to live in a bubble of self importance and verbosity.

Thanks is thanks, doesn't matter where it was earned. You both have no doubt (well Berny has for sure) received thanks for writing bullschit in various parts of the forum. As I am sure RGI's have in the CC. If a member has lots of thanks perhaps there is a reason. If a newcomer wants help, then who is going to be a preferable source of help? An old git with a toolbox and a chip on his shoulder? Or a professional with a track record of helping both his peers and the public?

Life's too short, I suggest you both get one before its too late.

Edited... Actually..... I can't be arsed. You're such boring old farts it unreal..... You both seem to live in a bubble of self importance and verbosity.
Says the man who, when he is expected to read a post, says that he cannot cope with one which is 66 words long, and then goes and writes one of his own which is twice that length,

Thanks is thanks, doesn't matter where it was earned.
Complete nonsense - of course it matters, if you want the figure to be of any use to people.

If a member has lots of thanks perhaps there is a reason.
Perhaps there is. And perhaps the reason is not that he has provided a lot of help to people seeking it.

If a newcomer wants help, then who is going to be a preferable source of help? An old git with a toolbox and a chip on his shoulder? Or a professional with a track record of helping both his peers and the public?
And there you have it - you are saying that a newcomer can look at a person's Thanks count and determine something useful about his track record of helping.

But thousands of thanks for posting nonsense (or bigotry, lies, criminality etc) do not mean that the person being thanked for them can be trusted to be giving good advice, unless what they're after is nonsense, bigotry, lies, criminality etc.

Thousands of thanks for posting as a SME in forums dealing with a particular subject do mean that the person being thanked for them can be trusted. But only regarding the subject matter of that forum. A track record in Floors, Stairs and Lofts is not an indicator of expertise in Audio Visual.

Or a professional with a track record of helping both his peers and the public?

Which I had before the internet was invented.

And as always negative remarks about the person. ( Interesting to see if that post gets any thanks )

Life's too short, I suggest you both get one before its too late.

I do have a life.

The ratio of posts to thanks received makes interesting reading. I'm surprised Bernard's is so high!

further from my previous interesting post 21 iirc,

Any posts i reply to i will add a note saying that if my reply was helpful please do not thank me but send a donation (one off) to my life long favourite charity.

Edit,i am involved with this trust on a charitable basis.

Yes its the Anne Frank trust UK.

Link http://www.annefrank.org.uk/who-we-are/our-mission

hope thats ok with this site,ffs should be

Last edited by a moderator:
And while he actually has no interest in the issue he's raised,

The matter I raised was the probability that new comers might be mis-lead into believing a person with a high Thanks count was a source of helpful advice not realising that Thanks can be given to someone without any advice having been given. They can even be awarded for rude comments posted about a mutual "enemy"

What I have no interest in is having a large Thanks count.

Sponsored Links
Back