That last little bit of grout residue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just finished the first 20m of a 60m floor project. The tiles are 400 x 600 porcelain with a slightly textured surface. I tried to leave as little grout as possible on the surface. I used a damp sponge at least twice while drying and also tried a dry cloth but this didn't seem very effective. Once dry it showed an overall thin white coating which has proved extremely difficult to remove. Close up you can see grout in some of the indentations in the texture but most of it is just a fine layer on top. I've used a scrubbing brush followed by a mop and bucket, and each session removes more but I'm not back to the nice clean surface that I had before I grouted!

Did I do something wrong, or is there some miracle cleaning agent?

Sponsored Links
Both :LOL:

This happens all the time and the only way to remove it by doing it dry with a cloth with 2 strong arms.

Good old sweat and toil. I was once told that newspaper was good for polishing off the fine grout haze. Never tried it myself, wouldn't want to on tiles that aren't glazed, they may turn grey. Has anyone else?

Sponsored Links
If its grout (not haze) its the problem I had.
I bought from topps tiles, (cant remember its name) an acid which is diluted applied, then scrubbed off. It did remove the grout but it was hard work.
Try it on a tile that wont show first, just incase it effects the tile.

(Topps sell a number of different products for this purpose).

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back