The attic (erm... loft?) from hell - where to begin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just moved in to a new house this week. I'm really keen to get all the cardboard boxes with "attic" written on them into the attic, but after having my first peek up there yesterday, I'm not sure the boxes are headed up there as fast as I'd hoped.

I've taken some pictures, but they don't really do it justice.

What I want to achieve:
Board off a small part to create some storage (immediate)
Improve insulation to help retain heat (short term)
Board off more of the attic to create more storage, or do something fancier with the space (long term)

I should point out as well that the survey said something along the lines of "the current insulation in the attic is old and needs replacing, and it's laid badly so be careful the electrics buried in it isn't getting too hot.

Only looking at my immediate goal of boarding a little bit off for storage, and I want to get any results I can as quickly as possible. Where is the best place to begin? Clear and board above the hall as it doesn't matter if that's not insulated?

Please help.

attic1.jpg
attic2.jpg

Sponsored Links
You really want to do the whole roof space, not just the bedrooms etc. The regs require 270mm of insulation, 100 laid between the joists, and 170mm ever them in an alternate direction. But if you want to board the roof, you'll need raise the joists by at least 100mm, and put all the insulation between the rafters. You can use loft legs (which aren't cheap but come up to the right height) or 2 pieces of 2x2 and squash the insulation slightly - not really recommended though. Keep the insulation away from the electrics, and leave an airgap aver and around any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back