The China Syndrome

As below

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Haha, go on you'd better provide some links for me. Make sure they include prompt drop, mean neutron life time, and why no matter how much shut-down margin is inserted there is still fission occuring in the core. Come back to me when you think you know what you're talking about and we can have more banter.

Nozzle

You've been Googling it

I can tell.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
China has a decade to gain world dominance or crash, burn & die in the apocalypse of it's own demise.
China is the worlds' second largest economy. How much do they really need to gain?

Monopoly as a game was invented by an economist in an attempt to explain why capitalism as an economic model was doomed to failure, yet nobody gets it !

China has a decade to become the ONLY economy, two economies cannot possibly run to a conclusion.

It won't be producing power until at least 2020, a massive price hike in already extortionate energy costs to consumers and the technology has been superseeded already so no a sh1t idea and good on TM for having second thoughts.

It won't be producing power until at least 2020, a massive price hike in already extortionate energy costs to consumers and the technology has been superseeded already so no a sh1t idea and good on TM for having second thoughts.

But it puts noseyall out of a job ! He's practically a nooclear fyzzizzzztss.

What on earth will he do next . . . probably enter the building trade I wonder?

Shame that we're going down as a country.

You don't think we've hit rock bottom yet then?

Not yet. We've always had problems, but the problems are getting much bigger and being kicked down the road for future generations to suffer. It's just that our 'leaders' are much better at hiding what's really going on, and people who know no better still think that they can provide a brighter tomorrow. Spin is king.

A reactor can't just be turned off, it's that simple. It's not a motor, or a boiler or a lamp. The issue is decay heat. A reactor can't just be turned off, whether from Bejing or the control room.

Nozzle

Yes it can. Off you go & Google nuclear physics.

I will grant you that it's not a simple bang on, bang off switch, but very little else is these days.

The nuclear reaction itself is VERY controllable. Problems (& they are BIG problems) only arise when that controllability is lost.

Hmmm... You may want to explain that to the chaps who operated the reactor at Chernobyl.

I don't have issues with nuclear power but I do expect it to be completely in our hands and not some competing foreign power. I do, however feel that by going the nuclear fission route we are investing in steam power just as the internal combustion engine is about to be invented...Just a hunch

Yes if they take the nuclear waste and don't install the software ! Seriously no too many foreign companies own vital sectors of the infrastructure.

Keep in mind any design the Chinese might want to build has first to be scutinised by the Office of Nuclear Regulation. The ONR is a government agency which protects the people, not the Nuclear Indsustry and it takes the job very seriously indeed. Second, the Chinese have built, or are building a hand full of reactors at the moment on their own soil (I don't know the exact figure and I dare not google it....) and it is considerably more than France and the US put together. As such, in recent decades they have more experience than any other nation at building PWR technology. As for Bejing having any sort of operational control in the final station I find hard to believe, it's the stuff of comic book fantasies. They could have a commercial impact I agree, by failing to plan for and fund a re-fueling outage and so have an impact on input into the national grid.
Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Back