the combi boiler explodes, and the plasterer dies

Oh well, if some DaftyDIY'er 'dead heads' their circulator, more fool them. So that's no reason to fit a by-pass valve, when there's no need.
I guess B&Q Bob the Builder, could also do untold damage to any part of their system!!

Sponsored Links
You may well have a point ??? but on this subject I think we will agree , to disagree , I think we will also agree to disagree with reference to comment's made about B.G engineer's , incidentally you are not the original O'P on this thread are you ????

Tony wrote
DP's relative's firm fitted a boiler at ladder height on the stairs with no heating control in the flat. The only way the tenants could control the heating was to turn off each individual rad !

I trust you have got your facts right as you know nothing about how the man operates. Since you have posted here indicating he is guilty of malpractice (so says you) I look forward to you posting property address so I can notify the owner so he can take what action he deems necessary. Failure to post address will be taken as mischief makeing or speculation.

Transam wrote
I believe the gloworm betacom manual specifically state that a dedicated by-pass must be fitted

Transam, looked at the manual. Boiler is a combination boiler. In 99.99% of installations boiler will not be connected to two or more zones. Thus Y plan and system bypass does not even come into the picture.

Sponsored Links
I know the betacom is a combi ,( which does not have a by-pass ). but all the rads could have trv's , except in the area of roomstat , I believe gloworm state that this by-pass arangement is not exceptable , there fore a dedicated by-pass must be fitted , I can assure u that I am not looking to argue with anyone , & as u said earlier ??? one can do what ever they want , however I somehow get the impression ??? rightly or wrongly ?? that some have made comment's to other;s that seem to imply that those fitting a by-pass should know better , or it suggest's they are not clued up , ect ect or it's not best practice ????

Transam, do you think it is a good idea to fit a roomstat in a room heated by TRVed radiator? Betacom statement makes no sense since any boiler I have fitted will always state no TRV where a roomstat is fitted.

I have cut and pasted Vaillant take on TRV/ roomstat installation

4.16 Thermostatic radiator valves The boiler has a built in automatic by-pass valve making it ideal for use in systems with thermostatic radiator
valves (no separate system by-pass is required). For optimum fuel economy where TRV’s are used they must be used in conjunction with a boiler control interlock.
A programmable room thermostat or separate timer and room thermostat will ensure complete boiler shut down when the heating demand is satisfied.
(The radiator in the room containing the room thermostat should not be fitted with a TRV).

I am not aware that gloworm state this , & no u would not , the point I am or was trying to make is that , they ?? are stating a rad is in there opinion not suitable for a By-pass , or not exceptable , I merely used this as an example , as I remembered some wording in the M.I's , when I last looked , it might not be the best example but there u go , if I have made a mistake , with useing this as an e.g than I apologise , but it still does not alter my opinion , make no mistake if I get something wrong (Y Plan )
(or anything else ) I will admit to it , if I post anything that wrongly suggest's or implie's , or state's that other's are incorrect I will appogise !
( even to delta T , & agile :) )

[quote="DP";p="1546817"

4.16 Thermostatic radiator valves The boiler has a built in automatic by-pass valve making it ideal for use in systems with thermostatic radiator
valves (no separate system by-pass is required). For optimum fuel economy where TRV’s are used they must be used in conjunction with a boiler control interlock.
A programmable room thermostat or separate timer and room thermostat will ensure complete boiler shut down when the heating demand is satisfied.
(The radiator in the room containing the room thermostat should not be fitted with a TRV).[/quote]

Sorry i did not read your entire post correctly , the above quote is standard practice , the following has been taken from the J&S manual
T.R.V's may be fitted to the system but must not be fitted in the room where thr r.stat is fitted . there must be at least one rad installed with a lockshield valve's thay should not be closed . Note a differential bypass valve MUST be installed to maintain the following minimumn flow rate's !!

the above quote come's from the J&S reno manual heat only serie's !

Transam, apology is not asked for and not needed from your good self. What I am doing is bouncing ideas to fine tune my everyday skills. This is what a forum is all about.

I am not entirely convinced a bypass is needed in every case. If the 'lockshielded' rad is passing required water flow, why would a bypass also be needed? This is the question I would be asking technical people at J&S

Attended a sticky motorised valve fault yesterday. Installation was fully pumped with a MV on CH zone and gate valve bypass partially open. I closed the gate valve as HW zone was at all times open to allow circulation.

or anything else ) I will admit to it , if I post anything that wrongly suggest's or implie's , or state's that other's are incorrect I will appogise !
( even to delta T , & agile ).............You don't need to appogise? to me son, I give as good as I get & will wind you up at any given opportunity!!

You have made some valid points and at the end of the day, it's all about flow rate for pump over-run. A Hall radiator is rarely going to be the index emitter & there's every chance it'll be closed down quite far for balancing reasons, but if it's big enough & there's plenty flow through it, I don't see the point in fitting a by-pass on a 'Y' plan.

I wish I could write like the OP, as I said very funny.

Tony see that you have failed to reply to my post regarding 'my relative'

I have spoken to him and both of us are keen to get the information that you choose to post on open forum instead of by PM

DP you should know by now Agile opens his mouth before engaging brain and very rarely can he back it up so he hides till it blows over, a bit like him threatening legal action about not being qualified

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Usually to quote his £84 fixed price repair, and to run down almost everyone else in the industry , when really he is the 'numpty' :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
why do simple posts from non-professionals asking advice descend into huge episodes of back-biting?

i still think the OP was nonsense, by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back