Intergas combi - Loud gurgling sound around water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an intergas combi boiler fitted around a month ago and since then it had made very loud vibrating type noise on two occasions. This morning the engineers who fitted the boiler came to check it out. They said that the pressure had been too high and lowered it.
However, since they left there is a brand new noise and this is loud gurgling sound of bubbling water in the airing cupboard around the little water tank. There isn't really any sound coming from the boiler itself and this noise is almost constant, going quiet only occasionally.
We called them and they said they will come out again tomorrow but not to worry but I just looked this up on google and it says that such a noise is the water getting too hot and this can be dangerous, can cause the boiler to explode etc! So, being a paranoid person I have turned it off at the thermostat box - but not at the wall. The noise has now ofcourse stopped but I am afraid to turn it back on as I keep imagining explosions. Its a very cold night though!
Can a combi boiler explode? Should I keep it turned off until the engineers come over tomorrow? Should I turn off at the wall too? Help!!!

Sponsored Links
your boiler is not going to exploded...

if you are worryed just switch it off, sounds to me like its just trapped air. is that little tank red?

doubt very much it is anything to worry about. your boiler will always fail safe.

Sponsored Links
Overheating could (possibly) be dangerous but it would normally be a LOUD banging noise. I wouldn't worry too much about some gurgling. Best to get it looked at but I wouldn't go cold tonight.

dont use the heating if your concerned, but you can still use the hot water on these. as of the design they can be used with no ch water what so ever. basically just like a water heater. so you will at least still have hot water. prob might just need a good bleeding off the top of the boiler, as they dont have an aav. just a manual bleed vent on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back