the danger of ramps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're all the hazard of getting a car run up on to ramps.

What about a set of ramps with an integral lifting system
so you could lower the ramps down to about 80mm then run the wheels up on to the ramps, and then lift the car to any height you want, say to a maximum of about 300mm.

Would anybody buy a pair?

Sponsored Links
Can you tell me websites to visit for such a ramp please

cheers

DIY Spanner, if you're worried about the ramps shooting forward when attempting to drive up them, try the following.

Cut 2 strips of old carpet, one for each ramp, about 2 foot long and just narrower than the width of the ramp. From the front of the ramps feed the strip of carpet around the bottom rung on the ramp and fold it back on itself, so one end of the carpet strip lays on top of the other.
Now when you attempt to drive the car up the ramp the weight of the vehicle will be on the carpet strips first, which will hold the ramps in position, stopping the ramps shooting forward.

I hope this makes sense without a photo. I have used it many times without any problems and its very, very cheap.

Good luck.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
barnetboy said:
DIY Spanner, if you're worried about the ramps shooting forward when attempting to drive up them, try the following.

Cut 2 strips of old carpet, one for each ramp, about 2 foot long and just narrower than the width of the ramp. From the front of the ramps feed the strip of carpet around the bottom rung on the ramp and fold it back on itself, so one end of the carpet strip lays on top of the other.
Now when you attempt to drive the car up the ramp the weight of the vehicle will be on the carpet strips first, which will hold the ramps in position, stopping the ramps shooting forward.

I hope this makes sense without a photo. I have used it many times without any problems and its very, very cheap.

Good luck.

Paul.

I understand what you say, good and simple - thanks.
Further to what you say, if you have a car with a low front end,
you can put wood chocks at the bottom of the ramp to gain height
before the car passes onto the ramp and avoid damage.

I thinking along the lines of a more versatile ramp though,
one with variable height.

JonB said:
It could be called a 4 poster. :evil:

Certainly could be if it lifted the whole car 5 foot or so.

I'm interested in the less than £100 type of ramp
that you use on the drive outside the house.
I'd love a set where I could adjust the height,
which websites sell them?

barnetboy said:

Good luck.

Paul.

yeah great idea but whats the wife say about the hole in the living room carpet :D

Sponsored Links
Back