the difference between a router and cutter bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! Woodwork section this time.
(boring background bit)
I have made myself a lovely shelf to go across the alcove in my lounge, and on one side I have a unit underneath for all my av equipment. Unfortunately, I have just bought myself a sparkly new blu-ray player. It's 430mm wide. My unit is 410. It appears that most equipment is around 430mm wide. bummer. Oh, and I cant make the unit any wider, trust me.
(end of boring background bit)

So my idea is to cut a rebate into the sides of my shelf unit. It's 20mm veneered mdf, so no problem cutting 11-12mm from each side. I will put the player close to the top of the shelf so I can make a U shaped recess from the edge, and not an O shape in the middle.

Plan A: drilling, cutting, sanding. Just tried it on a spare piece of mdf, and it doesn't look pretty.

Plan B: milling. Super... start looking for suitable bits for my drill (yes, hand held I'm thinking... still not overly attractive, but pretty enough I think).

Firstly, am I being stupid for thinking I can do it by hand? Even if I make a jig to stop myself from drilling too deep?

Secondly, a quick look on screwfix website suggests that there are such things as Routers and Cutters. Both look the same.
Or should I be looking for an end mill?

Your advice is appreciated :)
Alex

Sponsored Links
you need to forget your idea not only is removing more than half the structural sides daft you also need ventilation to each side
can you show a picture off your structure for sensible suggestions :D ;)

I'll try and sort a photo or diagram this evening :)

The depth of the unit is over 400mm, and the BD player is only 230mm, so I wont affect the strength of the unit. Ventilation at the sides? pah, there's over 150mm at the back plus some on top, so I'm sure there'll be no problems there.

Sponsored Links
I'll try and sort a photo or diagram this evening :)

The depth of the unit is over 400mm, and the BD player is only 230mm, so I wont affect the strength of the unit. Ventilation at the sides? pah, there's over 150mm at the back plus some on top, so I'm sure there'll be no problems there.

with respect removing half the thickness from over half the depth is like saying 10mm txe where its seen each end with 6mm where you cant see it ;)

things are designed to a cost they wont make them with much redundant capacity
of course it may work or it may fail it depends who knows

my thoughts where to affix 2x1" batons to the outside edge front and back then remove the whole side between them and introduce a central support in between to support the boxes sideways and maybe with a bracket to support the shelve middle an absolute bodge basicaly but thats seems to be what your after :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back