The elusive heating system of mystery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

while doing my floor it’s clear I need to upgrade my old baxi to a new combi. I hate the fire front and the system is rubbish. I need 8 new rads, a new combi and a flue.

I stuck to tested logic and got recommended local guys.

the first highly recommended guy visited, said he would give a quote in 2 days. After 4 weeks of chasing him for the quote and kept me hanging on (it will be with you in 48h every 48h) he said then that he couldn’t take the job. So 4 weeks wasted.

the next recommended guy is doing the same. “I’ll send a rough estimate via text” - that’s all I want - ballpark figure .

waiting now 2 1/2 weeks and now ignoring texts.

I have British Gas coming round later for a quote. I know they overcharge but at this point it appears local plumbers can’t even give me a quote let alone do the work. Neither said they were booked up in advance massively, they just don’t like doing quotes?

Is this normal? I’m in Bristol, anyone know of anyone who can actually give a quote?

I mean, I get busy in my trade but I would just turn it down rather than play cat and mouse with the quote.

are quotes hours of work? I would assume a ballpark figure is half an hours work. I’m very clear abojt what I want done.

May have to go with British Gas as we can’t wait putting the renovation on hold forever

Sponsored Links
You will find they are dodging it as it is a big job, all the installers these days just want to do a combi out and a combi in, you should have another think about the Logic too, they are poor

You will find they are dodging it as it is a big job, all the installers these days just want to do a combi out and a combi in, you should have another think about the Logic too, they are poor

you’re saying they’re crap if they don’t quote?

im going to have to use British Gas then. I think I’m going to get shafted but if nobody wants the work it’s what I’m stuck with.

It wont be British gas anyway, it will be a subbie, dont know about down your way but up here their installs have become quite competitive not as bad as they used to be and meant the Logics are crap

Sponsored Links
Ha Ha sorry just read that again I thought you meant you wanted an Ideal logic boiler fitted :oops:

It wont be British gas anyway, it will be a subbie, dont know about down your way but up here their installs have become quite competitive not as bad as they used to be and meant the Logics are crap

so you’re saying BG installs aren’t as much of a rip off as they were.

not sure what you mean by logics - is that a boiler brand? I want a Worcester, hoping they will do them ?

Yes BG will do Worcester, but there are far better boilers out there, there is a selection at the top of this page called Local , put your postcode in there and select the plumber /gas engineer and search , there may be someone from here that covers your area

Last edited:
If you are set on a Worcester contact BOXT they will be cheaper than BG

Just FYI the quote I got was huge.

8 rads replaced
Baxi back boiler removed
New Worcester boiler with gas routed to upstairs
Flue from airing up to roof
Some 22mm pipe down stairs as it’s currently 15mm
Tanks in loft removed

total £6500 reduced to £6000

I spoke to a local guy after who said “whatever you do rip that up, I could install an entire system for that and give you lots of change.

not sure if he understands how big the job is, it’s not far off a total instal.

what do we think of that price? I was expecting 4-5k

as already advised ask BOXT for a price, they are sort of a part of Worcester, I never comment on prices as I havent seen the job, so cant argue with someone who has

Sorry guys just a sense check on something someone has said.

I had 3 quotes for the following work.

baxi back boiler removed
Combi install to upstairs and gas supply
Flue to loft
Replace 8 fairly large radiators
Move 2 radiators and create a new one (not just replace, new pipework needed to move and create a new one)

now quotes I have had:

local firm £7,000 inc vat
British Gas £6500 inc vat
Local firm 2 £5,500 inc vat

I have good reports for the last firm.

however, another guy who is booked up till January took a quick look at the quote and said £3500 tops.

£3500 for back to combi conversion and totally replace the heating system and rads?

i am not in a particularly cheap city but the huge difference in the last price makes me worried I’m getting shafted. My guess is he’s talking about the boiler conversion only. Surely you can’t do that and all the new rads for £3500?

I’m almost about to accept the £5,500 quote as I can’t wait till after Xmas.

Is this guy with his £3500 (hasn’t seen the job) probably over egging it seeing as 3 firms priced it above £5k

I don’t mind not paying for the cheapest- I want a good job, I just want to make sure I’m not being monumentally shafted

Last edited:
Explain you want a top class job, does his price allow for that and all that you want doing..

It’s via another person who sent him the quote I got from British Gas.

I get the feeling he didn’t go into the weeds with it.

So how much did Mr Cunningham quote you?

I would be very surprised if he did not give you a quote promptly.

He did his practical gas training with me and I would say that he took the training very seriously and should do a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back