Quote for heating system - sound reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've seen lots of really useful feedback on this site for quotes and wondered if someone with experience can sense check a quote I have, I do want to use this engineer if it's ballpark as he has been recommended to me, it's just a lot of money. It's for a 5 bed 70's house, complete heating system replacement, including:
- removing 31 yr old Potterton floor standing (still going strong!) and re-siting the new condensing boiler about 3 metres away on outside wall.
- removing existing asbestos/concrete flue
- replacing 12 existing radiators, various sizes, all with thermostats
- replacing one towel rail
- Installing Vallaint Ecogen 37Kw boiler with extended flue to roof level
- Installing Vaillant UniStor 210L megaflow
- Replacing all pipework downstairs, only replacing hallway upstairs
- Dual thermostatic controls on the heating, upstairs and downstairs
- Leave some capped pipework in cellar to connect to radiator in planned extension.

British Gas came up with £11, 300 (including all upstairs and downstairs pipework) and said they'd do it in 4-5 days, the local engineer says £8400 and says it could take him a month. Is that ballpark for this? I'm in Essex so guess everything costs more in the SE.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
it does sound like a lot but I can't see the job. A month sounds a bit crazy unless there's some serious drawbacks. 37kw sounds too big a boiler for 12 radiators and a towel rail. I'd suggest you need something more modest unless the radiators are enourmous.
At least your local guy has shaved a fair amount off the BG quote, and if he's planning a month i'd expect a better job for your money also.

Hi,

- Installing Vallaint Ecogen 37Kw boiler with extended flue to roof level

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I thought that the Ecogen was a Baxi boiler.

But as it generates electricity as well and costs about £5000 that quopte sounds very good value.

But doesn't anyone installing them need MCS registration to take advantage of feed in tarriffs?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, my mistake, it's the Vaillant Ecotec 37kw, not Baxi Ecogen, think it's about £2k for that and the tank from looking at the internet. There's a cellar so changing the pipework downstairs should be easy, upstairs is more difficult (chipboard) and that's why he's not quoted for that (too disruptive all in one go).

That means the boiler is seriously oversized.

To my way of thinking that reflects on the capability of the installers who quote for that!

You can calculate the whole house heat loss and see what that gives.

Probably about 18-24 kW at the most.

Tony

Did you tell the fella british gases price?? I know I can't see the job and may be a pig to do but as said a 37kw boiler is huge prob do two houses your size does sound along time too a month?? I do refurbs with bathrooms in a month.

British Gas came up with £11, 300 (including all upstairs and downstairs pipework) and said they'd do it in 4-5 days, the local engineer says £8400 and says it could take him a month.

Is that a month to do the work, or is he booked up and can't start for a month?

Why do you need all the rads changed anyway?

Thanks again! He said it would take him a month but not sure if he means over that period he would do it, I would prefer if he did it quicker though as it would be a hassle. He quoted 37 kw as we discussed the possibility of extending downstairs so the boiler is spec'd to suit. Its more the labour costs I want to check, he said he would get the best price for all the parts on plumb fix. I think there's a fair bit of work to do taking out the old boiler and hot/cold water tanks. Some of the rads are rusty and they're pretty old so we want to replace really.
Thanks again

Forgot to say, British Gas quoted to install a 330+ boiler which apparently can be configured to different outputs.

Stick with the 37kw , these can be range rated if necessary , all too familiar to see UNDERSIZED boilers.

its massively oversized, the difference is the lower end modulation, which on the 637 is 12kw ! with a low demand in milder weather the boiler can be cycling needlessly and can even take longer to heat a cylinder. I'd be very surprised if the op needs any more than 24kw, even with an extension. Boilers should be sized correctly, its not hard.
Should also mention the £160 difference in price !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back