Quote for heating system - sound reasonable?

Perhaps it is because I have worked on installs that have taken a team of 8 pipefitters/welders, plumbers & Commissioning engineers over a year to complete a system, one job i worked on took 3 months just to commission! :LOL:

Why confuse the thread with ****ing contest style trivia like this? Will the op now expect a timeframe of 1 month to a year as acceptable for a domestic heating system?

Its weird how 'advice' on this forum works

Sponsored Links
12 rad replacement of similiar size should take about 2-3 days

repipe from cellar i would expect 1 to 2 days max

hang boiler and install cylinder 1.5 days

powerflush system 1 day max

remove old boiler and rubbish 1 day max

electrics and commission 1 day max

I make that a total of 9.5 days and that would be turning up at 9 and going at 3

Whenever i have job that would take me more than 4 days on my own i get a mate into help. Customers never like it to take that long if they are living there. ( i would give a small discount on the quote if they were to go away on holiday (£200-300) This often works and makes the job so much easier.

hansthebear";p="2035782 said:
Perhaps it is because Why confuse the thread with p******g contest style trivia like this? Its weird how 'advice' on this forum works
I used to win those contests all the time @ junior school - used to wait until bladder was nearly bursting - then in the outside karzi across the playground I regularly got to 6 inches above the sparge pipe in the slab urinal .AND I knew what a sparge pipe was - na na na na nah :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Nige F";p="2036226 said:
Perhaps it is because Why confuse the thread with p******g contest style trivia like this? Its weird how 'advice' on this forum works
I used to win those contests all the time @ junior school - used to wait until bladder was nearly bursting - then in the outside karzi across the playground I regularly got to 6 inches above the sparge pipe in the slab urinal .AND I knew what a sparge pipe was - na na na na nah :mrgreen:

Got to 12" with an empty bladder. :mrgreen:

The BG 330+ is range rateable down to 9kW. I assume it also modulates itself down to 9kW? Specs say not, but I think that it must. This is a re-badged Vaillant, isn't it?

It is a Gloworm.

Vaillant UK do turn these into a 4 series by putting a smarter case around it, but leaving the small pitch Giannoni heat exchanger, cheaper gas valve and nasty Gloworm condensate siphon inside. The then try to get Vaillant money for a second rate effort. Stick with the 6 series Vaillant, it is a German design, and superior.

The BG 330+ is range rateable down to 9kW. I assume it also modulates itself down to 9kW? Specs say not, but I think that it must. This is a re-badged Vaillant, isn't it?

It is a Gloworm.

Vaillant UK do turn these into a 4 series by putting a smarter case around it, but leaving the small pitch Giannoni heat exchanger, cheaper gas valve and nasty Gloworm condensate siphon inside. The then try to get Vaillant money for a second rate effort. Stick with the 6 series Vaillant, it is a German design, and superior.

Fitted a few 400 model vaillants & to be honest i've never had a call back , only issue i had was the condense syphon leaking after 4 years.

Thanks to all who contributed! Really appreciate the advice. I will try and get another quote at least and see what size boiler they recommend, will go from there. Agree a month is daft, if I use him I'll have to agree a shorter timeframe to complete. :D

It is a Gloworm.

330+ is a flexicom. your thinking of the early 330 which was a much better boiler nowt wrong with a 400 series, but ultracom is cheaper and same boiler, so not worth buying one

It's for a 5 bed 70's house
Before spending money on a large boiler, you should get the house insulated - loft and cavity walls. This will have a significant effect on the size boiler required and your annual running costs.

There are many cheap/free deals going at the moment. See Energy Savings Trust Grant Search

- Installing Vallaint Ecogen 37Kw
That is seriously oversized, even for a five bed house.

Use the Boiler Size Calculator to get a more reasonable size. If you know how big your future extension will be, you can add this on assuming the highest level of insulation.

- Installing Vaillant UniStor 210L megaflow
Has anyone bothered to check the incoming cold water flow rate and pressure to the house? You will need at least 20 litres/min.

You can check this at the kitchen cold tap using a bucket and a watch. If there is a garden tap off the mains, do the test with the garden tap closed and then with it fully open. The smaller the difference in filling time, the better.

The Unistor 210 has a 21 minute heatup time (assuming 70% is at 15C) at a primary flow rate of 15litres/min. This is equivalent to a 21kW boiler so, again a 37kW boiler is oversized. However most cylinder thermostats have a 10C differential, meaning that it will start reheating the water when the temperature in the cylinder has dropped to about 50C. This is equivalent to about 25% cold water. This is approximately equivalent to a ten minute shower.

gasafengineer said:
ianniann said:
That house, 90% of the time, will need only a kW or two of heating.
Where are all these 2kw boilers installed? :D
What is priceless, and very worrying, is that Gasafengineer does not seem to understand what Ianniann means, so I will explain it to him simply.

The size of a boiler is determined by the requirement to heat the house from -1C to 21C, i.e in the winter.

The number of days in a year when the temperature is actually down to -1C are very few. So, for the majority of the year the boiler will be oversized.

The only points which are debatable are the 90% and 2kW figures, which could be a slight exaggeration. An analysis of the weather data in my region (SE) shows that the boiler will be producing less than 50% of the calculated output for about 42% of the year.

Each to there own Mickyg , no problems here.............................although a 210/300 litre cylinder won't last very long with a large family all using the shower for 20/30 minutes @ a time , yer can't fit a quart into a pint pot.

WTF? :eek: Who has a 20-30mins shower??

gasafengineer said:
ianniann said:
That house, 90% of the time, will need only a kW or two of heating.
Where are all these 2kw boilers installed? :D
What is priceless, and very worrying, is that Gasafengineer does not seem to understand what Ianniann means, so I will explain it to him simply.

The number of days in a year when the temperature is actually down to -1C are very few. So, for the majority of the year the boiler will be oversized.

What is 'priceless' & very worrying is the fact some on here are quite happy in the knowledge a 2kw boiler will be adequate to heat a 5 bed house , might get away with a rabbit hutch yes , tell you what , thank god you guys arn't out there installing heating systems. :eek:............what size boiler have you in your house D-Hailsham?

Who has a 20-30mins shower??
My thoughts as well. I would have the family breaking down the door if I took longer than 10 minutes.

I also thought that the idea behind a shower is that it saves water compared to a bath. A 30 minute shower probably uses twice as much water as a bath and much more if it's a power shower.

if it's a power shower.

Well there you have it , the term 'power shower' is generally used buy the general public who have no clue regards plumbing/heating , what exactly is a 'power shower'? ;)....................who has the right to tell client how much water he/she should be using , hot water consumption should be based on customers needs & not what you 'think'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back