The End of frozen condense pipes.

Stop moaning :rolleyes: The planet is being saved and Gas Safe fitters are getting richer. Long live the condensing boiler :mrgreen:

The bit I have a real problem with is that the boilers are tripping out with frozen condensate drain pipes at exactly the time that people most need them ! . :rolleyes:

I think it's a national disgrace ! - The green loonies have a lot to answer for...... :)

Sponsored Links
Yep these green loonies have ?? or will have alot to answer for ?? the public are being taken for a ride , porky pies maybe ? mis information may be ? alot of it has not been thought out , mention anything green & it gets bull dozed through by a bunch of here today gone tomorrow politicians most of who know very little about anything !!

good old joe public will pay a very heavy price for alot of this nonsense in the future , but look on the bright side , job creation ???

Condensing boilers , condensate pipes well ?? most or all of the manus will blame the installation industry , always have always will , bunch of ar** ***es the lot of em :) :)

Yep these green loonies have ?? or will have alot to answer for ?? the public are being taken for a ride , porky pies maybe ? mis information may be ? alot of it has not been thought out , mention anything green & it gets bull dozed through by a bunch of here today gone tomorrow politicians most of who know very little about anything !!

Yes indeed - That sort of rubbish is known as a greenwash ! . ;)

I only go external if i have to...then i use good qualtiy lagging, fitted well!

ALSO a piece of polystyriene cut out in the shape of a gully and fitted in place of the gully grid goes a LONG way..even better if a well cut "leaf cover" is used aswell

Sponsored Links
heard someone saying that some central european countries are moving away from condensing boilers,anyone heard anything about this

seems installers have created a lot of extra work for repair engineers due to their poorly installed condense pipes frezing.
in my humble opinion i would think that overflow pipe is for overflow only as most overflow pipes are run internally with a short external section outside.
i am sure some installers use to much solvent cement on condense overflow pipes so it cretes a slight obstruction where water (condense)will not fully drain away and be prone to start a build up of ice.
the raise in outside temperature here in london is welcome and probaly no frozen condense pipes for a while.

rant over.

mines a pint but not condense water.

Had to go out to my girlfriends house last week due to the Worcester Gurgle.... The ice had started to form around two snails that had found their way six inches along the inside of the 32mm pipe and were "Back to back" forming a partial obstruction....

snails have a right to shelter.maybe they were male and female and wanted some privicay.

snails what next,oh not a snake.

I`ve been thinking about this, and i`m not a plumber, but having spent the recent cold spell de frosting my outside condensate pipe daily, more as a precaution than waiting for the boiler to trip out. My condensate pipe upsizes to 32mm outside of the wall which is a north facing wall. Anyway I thought that if you could somehow connect some of that micro bore pipe to the flow and return of your central heating system and then drill 2 small holes through the wall to feed the micro bore pipe out and back into the house but have it coiled around the external condensate pipe, would this be feasable or am I being stupid?

I`ve been thinking about this, and i`m not a plumber, but having spent the recent cold spell de frosting my outside condensate pipe daily, more as a precaution than waiting for the boiler to trip out. My condensate pipe upsizes to 32mm outside of the wall which is a north facing wall. Anyway I thought that if you could somehow connect some of that micro bore pipe to the flow and return of your central heating system and then drill 2 small holes through the wall to feed the micro bore pipe out and back into the house but have it coiled around the external condensate pipe, would this be feasable or am I being stupid?

google trace heating wire instead, this can go on a frost stat!

An electronic level switch in the condensate trap might be the first improvement to the design. This would shut down the boiler and illuminate a light or code telling the householder to put the kettle on, rather than call out a £ 100 RGI and wait in for 2 days for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back