The end of wet central heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone heard of 'far infrared heat panels' it seems they are a cheap simple answer with no plumbers needed, has anyone got them/ fitted them?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone heard of 'far infrared heat panels' it seems they are a cheap simple answer with no plumbers needed, has anyone got them/ fitted them?
Hmmm - just as with any other electrical heating, they simply turn electrical energy into heat - so (unless relative energy prices change dramatically) I can't really see them threatening wet central heating any time soon - except perhaps for the rich and gullible!

Kind Regards, John

energy from electricity costs about three times as much as energy from gas.

Since quite a lot of electricity is generated by gas, there is no reason to suppose that electricity will ever be cheaper.

Hence the popularity of gas-fired heating.

Additionally, the electrical distribution and supply network is not sized to provide the huge amount of power needed if we moved to electrical heating. A typical modern gas boiler has about 15-35kW of power, which would need a 65A to 150A supply to each house.

This type of heat generation uses much less power than a gas system, owners are reporting 80% savings, the panels do not heat the air, they heat surfaces eg walls n people, the room air remains cold (think skiers on a mountain in T shirts cos the sun has made them hot). It sounds a bit good to me but a sprinkling of caution saves a flood of cash!

Sponsored Links
This type of heat generation uses much less power than a gas system, owners are reporting 80% savings, the panels do not heat the air, they heat surfaces eg walls n people, the room air remains cold (think skiers on a mountain in T shirts cos the sun has made them hot). It sounds a bit good to me but a sprinkling of caution saves a flood of cash!
As you say, it sounds too good to be true - and we all know what that usually means!!

Even if it were true that it somehow managed not to directly heat air, the air has very little thermal capacity as compared with the fabric and contents of a building - and, in any event, that fabric would heat up the air, anyway.

Given that, as has been said, electricity costs about three times as much as gas, to get 80% cost savings compared with gas would require that it only used about 6.7% of the energy which gas CH uses - which is quite ridiculous!

Kind Regards, John

Old technology, been available for decades.

Typically used in warehouses and other large areas where heating the air volume would be impractical and expensive.

For heating a home, totally useless.
For those in front of the radiator - boiling hot.
Anywhere else - cold as ice.

They do however use far less power than a radiator system - because they are only heating a tiny little area.
The same effect can be obtained with one of these:

two-bar-electric-heater.jpg

For those in front of the radiator - boiling hot. ... Anywhere else - cold as ice. ... They do however use far less power than a radiator system - because they are only heating a tiny little area.
Indeed. It's obviously always possible to reduce heating costs by doing less heating (heating less things, or heating them to lower temperatures), but that's not generally what people want in their homes. It's a bit like reducing fuel costs by driving fewer miles and/or at lower speeds!

There probably is far too little attention paid to 'zoning' of CH in domestic environments - it is, for example, very common for bedrooms to be heated throughout the daylight hours (even if to a lower temperature than other rooms) when the heating is 'on'. My house is of a size that I simply couldn't afford to do that!

Kind Regards, John

You're a charlatan's wet dream, that's what you are.

The only threat to gas fired wet systems I feel in the future are heat pump air conditioning units.

Very very efficient and has the option of cooling in the summer and heating in the winter.

The beauty and failing of gas is it can provide lots of heat quickly.
Modern homes should no longer need huge quantities of heat.

If a home can be heated with a small electric heater and doesn't need an expensive install or annual servicing I can see the end of gas heating.
Gas heating costs £3k+ to install and lasts about 10 years. If you can get the cost of electric heating below £500 per year then bye bye gas

If a home can be heated with a small electric heater and doesn't need an expensive install or annual servicing I can see the end of gas heating. ... Gas heating costs £3k+ to install and lasts about 10 years. If you can get the cost of electric heating below £500 per year then bye bye gas
I accept your argument, but certainly am not holding my breath. Apart from anything else, there is the issue (previously mentioned) that the electricity supply networks (which are already at risk of getting into difficulties over the coming years) could not cope with a large-scale shift to electric heating (even if the amount of electricity per home were modest).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back