The first Unexplained Wealth arrest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this on the news last night and thought it was great. The wife of a foreign banker had been arrested for spending (amongst other things)

£10,000,000 on a golf course
£11,000,000 on a house in London
£16,000,000 over 8 years in Harrods

The guy said she had been arrested because they shouldn’t have that much money and that all transactions would be traced back to their source.

If it was found to be dodgy money would they then confiscate and sell the golf course? Where would the money from the sale go?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-45812210

Sponsored Links
Unexplained Wealth Orders aren't yet as powerful as implied in the press. It is an investigatory tool that allows the authorities to force an individual to account for their wealth. Its part of the Proceeds of crime act. Basically you are asked to prove that you legitimately "earned" the wealth that funded the investments. If as a result of that they found the wealth was the proceeds of crime (e.g. corruption and bribery act), then they could confiscate it. However, its not yet clear if a court would order confiscation on property that wasn't accounted for in a satisfactory way. Its a bit of a stretch - to guilty until proven innocent.

If however, property is confiscated, the proceeds are normally split between victims and the state.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/29/part/2/crossheading/confiscation-orders
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...rs/circular-0032018-unexplained-wealth-orders

No doubt someone with £37M worth at risk would hire a decent team to help with the UWO.

I reckon I could easily find with no effort 20 or so people , with new expensive cars, who have several holidays a year, and whose kids's have all the top phones and ipads and clothes etc, and none of them work ... and this will be on just a few roads on the one estate I drive through to and from work.

Sponsored Links
I reckon I could easily find with no effort 20 or so people , with new expensive cars, who have several holidays a year, and whose kids's have all the top phones and ipads and clothes etc, and none of them work ... and this will be on just a few roads on the one estate I drive through to and from work.
I know plenty like that,just on benefits,never worked,fek knows how much the weed growers earn on top.Then they whinge about food banks and "period" poverty..Utter utter shyy.te

I know plenty like that,just on benefits,never worked,fek knows how much the weed growers earn on top.Then they whinge about food banks and "period" poverty..Utter utter shyy.te

And I dare say most of those are not of any 1 specific racial/religious/sexual group ?

Ah the typical detective. So why don't you report them? Typical, full of hate. I suggest you go down to a food bank and you will see most people are working and finding it hard to just survive if they have an unexpected bill to pay - roof needs repair, boiler need replacing, car has broken down.

I was brought up to think of those who didn't have the privileges that I had.

Sponsored Links
Back