The Future

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without getting too much into specifics about oil or immigration, how do you see the future panning out?

Try as I might I just can't see anything good on the horizon for me, this country or the planet.

I hope I'm just becoming a cynic in my dotage - so try and convince me. Tell me about all the good things that are coming our way over the rest of this century.

Are you optimistic about the rest of your lifetime?

Sponsored Links
Look at the time you will save by not going to the toilet ,just pis# yourself where you sit as pensioners do :eek:

:LOL:

my other half went for a job as a "Carer" she lasted 3 days, they also "do lumpy bits" (shall we say)

In an episode of star trek, JL Picard was talking about his world in the 24th century, they didnt have such a thing as money and economies and people lived for self-actualisation, achieving goals and bettering themselves.

I can see this becoming reality. Without oil there wont be economies or money. Unless a market can be created for barrels of solar and wind energy.

Sponsored Links
The only natural progression for our species is Global Government where poverty is eradicated, the divide between Worldwide factions is reduced and we have stopped basing our lives on the accumulation of material things ... Star Trek has always addressed social issues and attempted to be visionary in its storylines.

Just consider how far away from this we are today though :cry:

Sports stars, people in the arts and celebs (whatever that actually means) get paid ridiculous sums of money and live opulent lives for doing something many of us would do for free whilst many more spend their lives scrambling for food and water.

And the bizarre thing is that we all want to be these people ... Kids in school actually want to be famous as if they think its a job ;)

I find it all very sad.

How good it would be for another species to pay us a visit now and show us how primitive we actually are ... A good wake up call :LOL:

MW

In an episode of star trek, JL Picard was talking about his world in the 24th century, they didnt have such a thing as money and economies and people lived for self-actualisation, achieving goals and bettering themselves.

I can see this becoming reality. Without oil there wont be economies or money. Unless a market can be created for barrels of solar and wind energy.

megawatt said:
Star Trek has always addressed social issues and attempted to be visionary in its storylines.

And if the problems persist they could always beam them away.

thedayafter.jpg

:cry:

its like this u die the next lot take over they die it will go on for ever, :LOL: dont eat horse you will need them to ride :LOL: :LOL: when all eles fails ;)

The only natural progression for our species is Global Government where poverty is eradicated, the divide between Worldwide factions is reduced and we have stopped basing our lives on the accumulation of material things ...

Sounds a lot like Communism.

I reckon everything will work out alright. People will learn to adapt - they have to or they'll die.

Once the oil runs out, governments/companies will begin to think about thinking about renewable energy sources seriously ... maybe. At the moment, 'we have oil + coal So we don't need to think about other sources'.

Without wanting to rake up too much of a controversy, I do believe there will (or at least will need to be) some natural 'cull' of humanity so as to relieve pressure on natural resources. I believe this will come in about 40-50 years when all the morbidly obese folks (moderate percentages of most western countries and most of USA) pop their clogs at an early age. As the 'Fat crisis' in our youth will be eradicated in about 10-15 years through education/Jamie Oliver, there will be a large amount of government money freed up by the loss of this burden on our health service (or whatever it will be called - probably be turned over to an American style insurance funded system).

This will be matched by a significant reduction in the 'benefit/scrounger class' when they all cark it from a lifestyle of fags, booze and TV. Their loss, however, will be more than compensated for through their 5:1 breeding ratio (one dies - 5 more are left behind).

Unemployment will be high (thanks to immigrant labour) and so 'underclass crimes' will be equally high. Gang warfare will increase mainly between unemployed Brits and unemployed immigrants. The prison system will collapse under the strain resulting in either the re-introduction of the death penalty or mandatory lobotomising. The (by now redundant) oil platforms will be turned into victorian-era hulks in a bid to ease the strain on prisons.

Workers will eventually be replaced by robots, who will, in turn be replaced by foreign robots. There will be a war of the robots and we will all either die or be reduced to living in caves.

Probably.... :LOL:

I thought you said it was all going to work out?

Sports stars, people in the arts and celebs (whatever that actually means) get paid ridiculous sums of money and live opulent lives for doing something many of us would do for free whilst many more spend their lives scrambling for food and water.

And the bizarre thing is that we all want to be these people ... Kids in school actually want to be famous as if they think its a job ;)

I find it all very sad.

How good it would be for another species to pay us a visit now and show us how primitive we actually are ... A good wake up call :LOL:

MW

Excellent post :cool:

Tell me about all the good things that are coming our way over the rest of this century.

Predicting the future is a mugs game so I'll pinch an idea from the met office. Have you noticed how they like to begin the weather forecast by giving us yesterday's weather? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Imagine it's 1957. There have been two world wars in your lifetime and a third - and final - war is a distinct possibility. But maybe you're not all that bothered because there's not a lot to look forward to on the home front anyway; just rationing and conscription and gangs of teddy boys who would slit your throat for a laugh. :( :( :(

You woke up today to find ice on the inside of the windows, your dinner consists of minced cow heel with the inevitable boiled spuds and cabbage and sex means of stuffing an urgent (insert favourite euphemism here) into an indifferent vagina. To cap it all there's nothing worth watching on the TV you can't afford. :mad: :mad: :mad: You ask the obvious question:

"Tell me about all the good things that are coming our way over the rest of this century."

First and foremost, there will be no third world war. Rationing will end, conscription will be abolished and Dr Alex Comfort will write a very informative book. :eek: :eek: :eek: Medical advances mean that you will never succumb to polio or diptheria or TB. You will have that TV; you will have one in each room - in colour! :eek: :eek: :eek: You will be able to go out wearing the wrong trousers and no hat. :cool: :cool: :cool: There will be free speech, free love and free radio too. :p :p :p Shops will open on Sunday and spaceships will fly to the moon. :!: :!: :!:

Now it's up to you whether you believe any of this or not. You can write it off as a load of rubbish that will never happen (nobody has two TVs) and end your days as a miserable old git, or ---

Or you can lay back with a big fat grin on your face, feet up on the table in front of an enormous colour TV (no kidding, there really will be colour TV), Carlsberg Special in one hand and some part of your partner's anatomy (read the book) in the other and think to yourself "We never had it so good". :D :D :D

The problem is though, Spacecat, - we can all see the iceberg looming from within the gloom. We can say 'hard to port', 'hard to starboard', or 'I'll help Spacecat rearrange the deck chairs!'.

Sponsored Links
Back