The Future

joe-90 said:
'I'll help Spacecat rearrange the deck chairs!'

Fair enough. Can you set up a couple of them in front of a big TV and find us something to put our feet on? I'll get the Carlsberg --

Sponsored Links
Tell me about all the good things that are coming our way over the rest of this century.

Predicting the future is a mugs game so I'll pinch an idea from the met office. Have you noticed how they like to begin the weather forecast by giving us yesterday's weather? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Imagine it's 1957. There have been two world wars in your lifetime and a third - and final - war is a distinct possibility. But maybe you're not all that bothered because there's not a lot to look forward to on the home front anyway; just rationing and conscription and gangs of teddy boys who would slit your throat for a laugh. :( :( :(

You woke up today to find ice on the inside of the windows, your dinner consists of minced cow heel with the inevitable boiled spuds and cabbage and sex means of stuffing an urgent (insert favourite euphemism here) into an indifferent vagina. To cap it all there's nothing worth watching on the TV you can't afford. :mad: :mad: :mad: You ask the obvious question:

"Tell me about all the good things that are coming our way over the rest of this century."

First and foremost, there will be no third world war. Rationing will end, conscription will be abolished and Dr Alex Comfort will write a very informative book. :eek: :eek: :eek: Medical advances mean that you will never succumb to polio or diptheria or TB. You will have that TV; you will have one in each room - in colour! :eek: :eek: :eek: You will be able to go out wearing the wrong trousers and no hat. :cool: :cool: :cool: There will be free speech, free love and free radio too. :p :p :p Shops will open on Sunday and spaceships will fly to the moon. :!: :!: :!:

Now it's up to you whether you believe any of this or not. You can write it off as a load of rubbish that will never happen (nobody has two TVs) and end your days as a miserable old git, or ---

Or you can lay back with a big fat grin on your face, feet up on the table in front of an enormous colour TV (no kidding, there really will be colour TV), Carlsberg Special in one hand and some part of your partner's anatomy (read the book) in the other and think to yourself "We never had it so good". :D :D :D
I think this post has pushed the boundaries of excessive smiley use. ;)

joe-90";p="739391 said:
Without getting too much into specifics about oil or immigration, how do you see the future

/quote] Bright................Orange

Sponsored Links
tim west said:
I think this post has pushed the boundaries of excessive smiley use.

Oops! Global smiling! :eek: :eek: :eek: I never thought about that. :oops: :oops: :oops:

In the good old days of impossible predictions ( is mobile phones and the internet being in every home ) the only graphical Smiley was an Australian film. But the actor in the lead role was predicted to become a famous film star. Not all predictions came true.....

Allegedly 'Smiley', Colin Petersen, was pulled from movie making after 3 yrs, his mum felt it was not helping his education... He schooled with, ( and eventually befriended ) the Gibb clan ...
Colin eventually became a jazz oriented drummer. He joined the Bee Gees, became a full member of the group and was their drummer 'til '69.
Apparently finally became a painter residing in Sydney.
Notso bad after all.
:LOL: :LOL:

I am amazed that some one else recalls that film.

But I had not made the connection with Peterson and the Bee Gees

Sponsored Links
Back