The gap between two sockets.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just ask when you have two sockets with with about a few cm in between how do you plaster or fill in between them or does the face of the sockets cover them. The thing I am referring to is I have a two gang socket then a small gap about a cm or two and then an Ariel socket. There needs to be some wall in between I assume ? Do you guys know what I mean.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes you can space the boxes so the face plates butt up to each other, but it's a PITA if you get the too close together.
If leaving a larger gap then the plasterer would normally fill the gap between the metal back boxes.

If you want the two faceplates (standard ones) to butt together, there is no real need to fill the gap between the boxes. A better job if you can, but it seems no professional plasterer has the time to do this, so it rarely gets done.

As long as there is plaster around the remaining three sides of each box, the faceplate will fit nicely.

To get the faceplates to butt together, measure exactly one inch between the centre of the faceplate LUG screw hole on one box, to the centre of the lug hole on the second box.

If you would rather the faceplates have a significant gap between them, you will obviously need to plaster between the boxes.

Ok it seems that the electrician has left the space so the face plates butt together .

It’s a house I have renovated. I have plasrered it but there is literally a one inch gap or similar between and I couldn’t have plastered that smaller space in between.

Thanks for the replies. You ha w clarified it for me. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You'd think most plasterers would be able to plaster that tiny gap with their masterclass goldstar credit card.

plasterer should be able to plaster fine, in fact most of the buggers like to plaster inside the boxes to. Obviously before second fix

Often there is no need
60079_P
nothing to plaster between boxes,
48234_P
2034F_P
5072F_P
but where there is a gap then not really a problem filling with plaster.

Yes once the lock down is over, then behind the TV I want some, use to use conduit barrel nuts cut to length, etc. But that makes it so much easier, pictures from screwfix web site but most electrical whole sale outlets stock them.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm in the same situation. Dob-and-dab plasterboard, deeply recessed boxes, one of which (for Cat5 cables) not currently in use, so I wanted to put a blanking plate on, and there's a gap of 5mm or so between the sockets. I think it would look neater simply to have a piece of plastic, similar to the white plastic sockets, between them, rather than trying to fill this fiddly gap and make it look neat, with no structure behind (and it would leave more space for cables etc).

I'm a bit surprised there's no off-the-shelf product for this purpose.

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm in the same situation. Dob-and-dab plasterboard, deeply recessed boxes, one of which (for Cat5 cables) not currently in use, so I wanted to put a blanking plate on, and there's a gap of 5mm or so between the sockets. I think it would look neater simply to have a piece of plastic, similar to the white plastic sockets, between them, rather than trying to fill this fiddly gap and make it look neat, with no structure behind (and it would leave more space for cables etc).

I'm a bit surprised there's no off-the-shelf product for this purpose.

the Dual Box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back