The Kitchen, photos of progress

My mate has a combi in his loft. He doesn’t even bother to wait for the kitchen tap to get hot, it takes that long for the hot to get to the tap that they either wash up with cold or boil a kettle.
In one of the houses we lived in had similar, tortuous pipe route from (electrically heated) hot water tank to kitchen via bathroom - wastes over 4l of water to get hot out of the kitchen tap. Being on a water meter it made hot water from the tap our dearest utility. It's not just the cost of water and disposal but the cost of getting the water hot and the wasted heat from that water in the pipe left in the pipes once you have finished drawing off the hot water. Say for half a bowl (4-5l) that's probably of 1&1/2 buckets of water through the hot water tank and pipes.

Mate used to laugh at me boiling a kettle on the kitchen until he had a; a water meter, b; a combi boiler in the loft. His missus did some measurements and calculations and then agreed with me.

Sponsored Links
I do like those disco lights! Any details of where they're from?

Sponsored Links
I know you did.

Sorry.

The plymths are manufactured sealed where I have had to cut (under the Dishwasher) I've sealed with mastic.
You can buy plinth seals.
Made of flexible plastic and prevent water damage to a certain extent.
Of course if you flood the kitchen there's nothing you can do to save the plinth, unless you get a upvc plint...
I should pass this idea to kitchen manufacturers...

In one of the houses we lived in had similar, tortuous pipe route from (electrically heated) hot water tank to kitchen via bathroom - wastes over 4l of water to get hot out of the kitchen tap. Being on a water meter it made hot water from the tap our dearest utility. It's not just the cost of water and disposal but the cost of getting the water hot and the wasted heat from that water in the pipe left in the pipes once you have finished drawing off the hot water. Say for half a bowl (4-5l) that's probably of 1&1/2 buckets of water through the hot water tank and pipes.

Mate used to laugh at me boiling a kettle on the kitchen until he had a; a water meter, b; a combi boiler in the loft. His missus did some measurements and calculations and then agreed with me.
Yes, I have the same problem, but i had no choice.

Yes but IMO they look ugly.
If you fit the plinth in a way that you can remove it then you can take it off and dry it, and dry underneath.

Of course if you flood the kitchen there's nothing you can do to save the plinth, unless you get a upvc plint...
I should pass this idea to kitchen manufacturers...
I did get some from B&Q but they didn't fit.

It is something I have thought about.

Surely if you flood the kitchen it will f'ck the flooring as well as the plinths so the insurance can take care of it?

Yes but IMO they look ugly.
If you fit the plinth in a way that you can remove it then you can take it off and dry it, and dry underneath.
All plinths should be fitted to be easily removed.
That's why you leave a 5mm gap at the top, so with an allen key you can pull it out.

In a different light
20240323_161050.jpg
20240323_161056.jpg
20240323_162600.jpg
20240323_161104.jpg

20240323_161327.jpg
20240323_161314.jpg

Light of the Day

Last edited:
What’s your worktop made of Bod? Did you get it cut and install the sink yourself or do they fit the sink as part of the price?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back