The law and TRVs

I'm making myself sound really sad compared to you all pointing out these regs :oops:

Now then, which door is the one I have to go through to get out more :LOL:

Sponsored Links
solo said:
I keep coming across Warm Front installations without TRV's. How do these guys get away with it?

No idea in our area (devon and cornwall) we get pulled for not fitting the little plastic anti rattle clip's that go on the radiator brackets!

sambotc said:
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but i struggle to belive that this is part of building reg's.

I fit heating and replace boilers for 'warm front' who have managed to pull out reg's from somewhere that have baffled even the most experianced fitters in my area, yet we have been replacing only bedroom trv's for a while now, plus the barret home's issue as above, i very much doubt they would get away with it. Especially seeing as this has been in place since 2005!!

If you can find me the same statement in another format, i will hold my hand up.

Like i say, don't mean to nit pick, but this is potentially quite a big issue from my point of view.

Cheers, Sam :)

Sam have you follwed my 2nd link and downloaded the official CHeSS 2005 document?

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
I'm making myself sound really sad compared to you all pointing out these regs :oops:

Now then, which door is the one I have to go through to get out more :LOL:

no you dont your loving it :)

hi,

Yes but from what i can gather CHeSS provide recommendations, not regulations.

CHeSS gives current recommendations for good practice, and best practice, for the energy efficiency of domestic wet central heating systems. Purchasers - consumers should use these specifications to ensure their heating installations will conform to current good or best practice. Installation engineers should use them to quote for systems of defined quality, this will enable the consumer to make informed comparisons between competing tenders.

C+P from here:
http://www.plumbingpages.com/featurepages/CHeSShome.cfm

Cheers, Sam

thats the same link that gas posted

again its doesnt seem to have changed that much since I did it

Basic Practice is what you must do to be compliant with Part L1.

I really must do it again, I will try and chat up my tight fisted git of a boss to way out some cash.

Sam, that was my first link. Follw the second link and download doc. This is the official CHeSS 2005 regs ;)

Right i've read all the link's and just got part L1 documnet up on the computer, and nowhere can i find anything which specifically request's TRV's in all rooms. It's no bother to me as it doesn't really effect me directly. (i always fit TRV's as standard to all but hall)

THIS C+P FROM PDF DOWNLOAD:

This guide gives basic and Best Practice specifications for the components
of domestic wet central heating systems that are critical to energy efficiency.
Basic means sufficient to comply with Building Regulations Part L1 Ref[1]
in England and Wales. It is also sufficient (and at present exceeds) the
requirements of the Building (Scotland) Regulations Ref[2] that take effect
from 1 May 2005, and the Building Regulations (Northern Ireland) Ref[11].
Part L1 applies to replacement heating systems in existing housing, as well
as new ones.Best Practice means the adoption of products and technologies
that are already established in the market, cost effective, and able to save
energy without incurring undue risks: this evolves with emerging
technological development.

The above in my opinion, makes it quite clear in it's wording that CHeSS is mearly an informative document, rather than a statement of regulation, exceeding afterall would suffice current reg's BUT a good source of infomation which i had not come across before thanks.

All these rule's and regulation's don't half make the job so much harder. :LOL:

Cheers, Sam

copied from part L1 PDF:

A way of demonstrating compliance be (for hot water central heating systems, fan controlled electric storage heaters and electric panel heaters) to control the temperatures independandly in areas (such as sleeping and living areas) that have differant heating needs. Temperature control could be efected by room thermostats and/or thermostatic radiator valves or any other suitable temperature sensing devices, together with appropriate control devices.

I dunno maybe i am looking to much into the wording of these documents, doesn't help by the way they are worded. :oops:

Sound's pretty conclusive, but can't see how big building companies can get away with not following the rule's (barret homes)

I'm very interested to know because if this is the case, i will complain.It will save me the job of having to change 5 x 10mm TRV's at her house too! :LOL:

[/quote]

Unless I'm missing something:

CHeSS aren't part of the Regulations.

Building regs say trv's in bedroom, so that's all I'll be using unless customer asks for more and wants to pay for it.

Have not read all of thread but i`m with chrisr on this thought building regs say bedrooms with a changeover and all over(except one) if complete install. As it is i do all even on changeovers.

Blimey! It looks like I've opened a can of very large worms here!

I'm guessing that it's not going to be as simple as ringing a number and asking somebody at the organisation that creates the reg's?!?

I don't understand why there's so much discussion about this. As ChrisR acutely observed, the CHeSS standards (CE51) are not law.

If the fundamental question is "What must I do in order to comply with the Building Regulations?", then the answer is simply to do what it says in the BRs.

There are many ways of implementing systems that comply, and CHeSS is just one document from one agency that offers a suggested way of complying. It wouldn't be wrong to say that CE51 is utterly irrelevant, in terms of complying, but if you find yourself up against a picky BCO, who happens to be one who likes CE51 "best practise", then evidence that you've followed it is likely to be the caster oil that eases that particular pain in the a*se.

But it is a useful stake in the ground, to wit sambotc gave the most astute summary of the standing of CE51:

Installation engineers should use them to quote for systems of defined quality, this will enable the consumer to make informed comparisons between competing tenders.
There aren't many types of client, viz:

1. Closed-minded: made their minds up beforehand - know what they want and won't listen to recommendations.

2. Open-minded: willing to take advice and consider the best option.

3. Installer-led: within reasonable cost, have enough trust in the installer to follow whatever they recommend.

In my experience there's a gamut of permutations that reflect what I recommend, and/or what I insist on, and/or what the client chooses to do.

It's a grey world, and there is no answer to the "Must I really fit TRVs?" question.

I don't understand why there's so much discussion about this. As ChrisR acutely observed, the CHeSS standards (CE51) are not law.

This was exactly the point i was trying to make in my previous post's, but the reason for the speculation was due to the wording in part L1 document i posted above which in my opinion could be regarded as recommendation or mandatory, depending on how the reader read's it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back